Gladiators

Started by Arsenus, 24 September 2011, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arsenus

Maybe some gladiators could be very cool!
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Arsenus on 24 September 2011, 05:01:44 PM
Maybe some gladiators could be very cool!

Depends which armour they are wearing - full metal in the Italian sun is going to be rather hot.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Blaker

I like the Glads idea but they would have to be sold in a set of some sort, simply because you dont need very many of each type.

Maybe do it like the Dungeon Theme Packs, set of Glads and it would be cool to have a resin arena - Germy (?)   :D

Very cool rules are by Two Hour Wargames called Red Sand, Blue Sky.  found here:  http://www.twohourwargames.com/index.html

They are a blast to play and can be over very quickly with 1 vs 1 contest but may take up to 45minutes to an hour with 3 or 4 Glads in the arena. Very cool campaign section also.

;)

capthugeca

I suspect that wanting only one or two of each would mean that there would not be sufficient demand to cover the cost of production.

There are a number of good 15mm ranges if you want smaller than 28mm.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

FOG has at least 1 list which has galdiators in it. I suspect more would be required than you think.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

They were raised as a force during the Year of the 4 Emperors, but were equiped with standard Legionary equipment, those who escaped in the Spartican revolt aslo got  hold of the Roman's army equipment as soon as possible!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Phobos

In DBMM there are several lists with gladiators as pushed into service troops.

Maenoferren

Quote from: capthugeca on 24 September 2011, 05:57:45 PM
I suspect that wanting only one or two of each would mean that there would not be sufficient demand to cover the cost of production.

There are a number of good 15mm ranges if you want smaller than 28mm.
only 1 or two of each.... you dont have the same brain as mine evidently :D
I would go for at least half a dozen of each,
Provocator
Eques
Thraex
Hoplomachus
Murmillo
Secutor
Retiarius
crupellarius
Gladiatrix
Sagitarius (could be used from the Roman range eastern archers)
Velites (from existing ranges)
Gauls and legionary types from original ranges for those re-enactment events
Then of course you have all the animals, chuck in a few chariots and bobs your uncle.
Never played red sand, blue sky...might give it a bash.

my shield:
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/Maenoferren/205430_10150564431390341_735745340_18468630_3332854_n.jpg

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

FierceKitty

Quote from: mad lemmey on 25 September 2011, 06:52:23 PM
They were raised as a force during the Year of the 4 Emperors, but were equiped with standard Legionary equipment, those who escaped in the Spartican revolt aslo got  hold of the Roman's army equipment as soon as possible!
A source of endless frustration to gamers, that! Like the failure of the Han to follow-through their abortive attack on the Roman Empire, Alexander's dying before he could take on the Carthaginians, the failure of the European powers in the east to go head-to-head with the Japanese in pike and shot, or lack of conflict between any of the armies of India and China that one would find worth gaming.
   Mmmm...or Frederick's getting involved in the AWI, serious French support of the '45, a Polish invasion of central Europe...Anglo-French support of the Czechs in 1938 (perhaps more historically intriguing than tactically enticing)...Ming colonies in east Africa....
  Come on, world leaders. Think about future generations who depend on your murderous work in the world for their club nights!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Blaker

I like the way you think Fierce  :D

FierceKitty

You're too kind. I'll have to consider adding a Blaker's regiment of Foot to one of my ECW armies (it'd have to be the roundheads; already have Black's regt with the cavaliers).

Blaker

Ooooh kool!  Roundheads! Pike, Shot or Cav?  The banner should have a feathered serpent on it  :D

FierceKitty

In a tarleton, doubtless.

Leon

I think these would fall into the 'unlikely' category, as we'd need to sell about 300 of each one before we'd recouped the outlay...  :-\
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!