'First Look' Carthaginian pics!

Started by Techno, 20 October 2011, 08:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Techno

Right then Chaps.
Just about to start the Carthaginian cavalry....
As seems normal with reference books they seem to disagree with each other....

One expert says they wore lamellar horse armour.....Another says there is absolutely no evidence for the Carthaginians using this and it's wrong.......Another point is that the Carthaginians used some Hellenistic equipment, so therefore probably used Hellenistic horse armour.......But this is a completely unfounded idea according to some.

Think I'm just going to do the horses unarmoured for the time being......At least it'll easier to put some form of armour on later.....
Or has there been any definitive archaeology done recently, which gives us the answer for sure ?

Cheers - Phil.

Maenoferren

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Techno

Cheers 'M'

No armour on that one....Though it is a little late time wise ??
Like I said before....I think I'm safer leaving the horses plain..at least for the time being.

Thanks for taking the trouble to find that one for me.

Phil.

clibinarium

I'd avoid it, it seems a supposition too far in the absence of direct evidence, and it didn't get that widespread usage in the greek world anyway. Another reason for caution is that it comes from Peter Conolly of Carthaginian Pike fame.
Not that I distrust him generally, but I think he got these two things wrong.

Techno

Thanks Clibby.

That ties in with what I've read.

Cheers - Phil.

Leon

Here's the latest batch of masters from Techno, which pretty much takes this range to completion!  We'll be adding some other elephant types further down the line, but for now, that's all folks!  Techno is going to be moving over to a completely different area for the next few months, so keep an eye out for that...  ;)

Carthage cavalry:

And the hefferlump:

And we've also remodelled the spearmen from earlier, bringing the spear down to the ground:

These will hopefully be all moulded and ready early in 2012, along with the Republican Romans, so that we can do a full release of both ranges.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Blaker

This range is shaping up nicely. Think both ranges would be ready by mid April?

If so, I would be able to run one of my wargaming classes using them both for a Punic Wars Class   :D

Leon

Quote from: Blaker on 23 December 2011, 01:53:10 AM
This range is shaping up nicely. Think both ranges would be ready by mid April?

I'd think so yes, me and Dave are sitting down over Xmas to pencil in the next 6 months worth of releases, and these are pretty high on the list.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

gregernest

How much longer before the Numidian Cavalry are released?  :'(

Leon

Techno's just working on them now, and then we'll be moulding them as soon as they arrive here.  A few weeks?  We're currently shipping in about 14 days, so it wouldn't be that much of a wait before they were sent out.

Techno

Nearly finished them.
Barring a total disaster the Numidians should be with Leon towards the middle of next week at the absolute latest.
Just trying to finish off some other 'bits and bobs' to send at the same time.
Cheers - Phil.