Latest AWI (against the clock... Nah!)

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 31 August 2011, 12:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hi chaps,
After gawking at Nik's efforts, i decided to start the clock and see how long it actually took me to paint a brigade of AWI figures.
I can't go in and set up my classroom today as it's being cleaned and decorated, my wife is at her school, my daughter is round at her friends, break out the paints!
There are five units of continentals and a unit of Militia, with their casualty markers and a general (from another Brigade, but hey ho!)

You can also see my work area/mess too!

Then I realised that my wife had the camera with her for school stuff :( Mobile phone photos it is  :'(

This is them after cleaning, basing and undercoating (2 hours, sitting outside in the sun earlier this summer)

So, start the clock (which will run over several weeks, I'm sure)

1 hour is, base coats done

Militia and 1st Canadians

Various Mass. Regiments

2 hours in, ink washed

Yes, they are now all either black or sepia...  ;)

And to finish the two hours, I varnished the Franco-Prussian stuff I was finishing last night. These will be based up as paint dries on the AWI!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Hertsblue

I'm not sure this wargaming time-trialing will catch on. Not exactly a spectator-sport is it?  :d

Seriously, though, looking forward to seeing the finished articles.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

goat major

I'm impressed already ! I darent even contemplating time trialling my painting  :(
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I just wanted to see how long my painting actually took after reading all Nik's posts. 

Had an hour for lunch and shopping as the inks dried, then it was highlighting for the next hour and a half, until my back gave up...

So after 3.5 hours, it doesn't look like much has changed but...
Highlights of base colours are done:

(James II for Southwold Project)

Militia

Hey, for a cheap phone, the macro lens is pretty good!

Command group (Poor)

I've really got to do smaller batches!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

nikharwood

Good stuff - good progress there mate  8)

As for the overall effectiveness of speed-painting, there are a number of tricks & tips - not to mention an entire mindset - that you need to plug into to make it work for you...if there's any interest, I could write a more in-depth article to explain the way I tend to approach this way of painting?

Leon

Looking good Lemmey!  8)

Quote from: nikharwood on 31 August 2011, 09:23:42 PM
As for the overall effectiveness of speed-painting, there are a number of tricks & tips - not to mention an entire mindset - that you need to plug into to make it work for you...if there's any interest, I could write a more in-depth article to explain the way I tend to approach this way of painting?

:-bd
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: nikharwood on 31 August 2011, 09:23:42 PM
Good stuff - good progress there mate  8)

Please, I've been mass painting for years, but someone else's version would be good...

Hertsblue

Always welcome another take on the whole blessed process.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

nikharwood

Okeydokey - I'll scribble some thoughts over the weekend...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Now school is et up and all our visitors have gone, paints came back out...
Hour and a half last night (with a break for an emergancy run to Tesco after discovering my daughter's lunchbox hadn't been cleaned in six weeks),
two hours tonight.   :)
Bad photo again, phone camera not picking up on the shading at all...
This is the worst stage, where I can see what they should look like, but the painting looks sh**e! It pick up after this  ;)
Yesterday: Guns done, flesh base coated and washed.
Tonight, flesh highlighted, then details for belts, sashes turnbacks and piping given a coat of white before I put 'real' colours on.

One units not whited, too little time tonight.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

10 September 2011, 09:53:29 AM #10 Last Edit: 10 September 2011, 09:56:11 AM by mad lemmey
Another 5 hours on the clock last night, started at 8, finished at 2 - borderline insomnia is useful... (well, after Torchwood, Outnumbered and QI, they decided to show Aliens the Director's Cut, it was a long night)...

Got the last white work done, waistcoats, knapsacks and black done, which strangly always moves the figures from dire to acceptable, but I wouldn't game with them yet, they'll need at least another three hours work!  ;)

Just got a few hats, their piping, brass work, error correcting and touching up (hmm, maybe I should rephrse that bit), flags, varnishing and basing to do...

The Division

Poor - The Divisional Commander's name, not his status (hopefully).

More Militia

James, The Duke of York is coming on well too, he even had time for his portrait to be painted on canvas!
Maybe more later...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2 and a half hours done last night, but the photos were on my camera phone again, was going to post 5, but realised that I took them at half 11 last night, and when I editted them this morning they were as blured as hell! Must hint to Santa that I'd like a decent camera for Xmas, not much changed on first inspection, but brass/bronze work done, white lines and black adjusted and hats and hair completed.

Nice sculpts Clib...

More tonight, but probably won't post piccies as it's sorting out errors and glutches night (like all the water bottles I've muissed on the marching figures)!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Another 2.5 hours (admittedly the last half hour was starting the next unit, 1st New Hampshire, that I forgot to order with this batch, so will be playing catch up!)

THEY'RE GETTING USED TONIGHT - aaagh! Unbased and with no standards (yes, you can insert 'lowereing my standards' jokes here). Battle rep over the weekend!

Total time spent thus far: 19.5 hours in, estimate three hours of basing to be done over the weekend, and done! Hey, if that logic worked, and paint dried instantly, and I never slept I could do an army every 24 hours, with an hour to eat!  ;D

nikharwood

Quote from: mad lemmey on 15 September 2011, 09:24:25 AM
THEY'RE GETTING USED TONIGHT - aaagh! Unbased and with no standards (yes, you can insert 'lowereing my standards' jokes here). Battle rep over the weekend!

Bad lemmey  ;)

What's that late-night, drunken, nightclub statement: "If the standards are low...lower your standards..."

Duke Speedy of Leighton

4 hours and 20 minutes of basing and flag research. No photos but they will be done when finished - honest!
:D