John Carter on Mars

Started by Blaker, 23 August 2011, 09:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaker

Okay so this might have been suggested before but I just saw the trailer to the new: John Carter on Mars film release date sometime in March 2012.

Soooo,  how bout those Green and Red Martian types to be requested again.

Yes there are other larger scale companies doing them but nobody in 10mm and just call them something different.

cya

nikharwood

Leon

Hit me with some links to what you're looking for, I'm kinda curious...
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Blaker

Leon

Cheers for that Blake, are there any good images of the Alien's out there though, there's not much to go from in the trailer.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GordonY

Dont be so lazy Leon, read the book, I promise you'll love it.

Leon

Quote from: GordonY on 24 August 2011, 05:51:35 AM
Dont be so lazy Leon, read the book, I promise you'll love it.

Gotta have spare time for things like that!  I haven't read a book for about 2 years!

Raider4

26 August 2011, 09:33:35 PM #7 Last Edit: 26 August 2011, 09:37:40 PM by Raider4
Quote from: Leon on 23 August 2011, 11:34:09 PM
Cheers for that Blake, are there any good images of the Alien's out there though, there's not much to go from in the trailer.
A description of the Greens, and their mounts, from the book A Fighting Man Of Mars:

The terrible green warriors of Barsoom are the hereditary enemies of
all the other races of this martial planet. They are of heroic size and
in addition to being equipped with two legs and two arms apiece, they
have an intermediary pair of limbs, which may be used at will either as
arms or legs. Their eyes are set at the extreme sides of their heads, a
trifle above the center, and protrude in such a manner that they may be
directed either forward or back and also independently of each other,
thus permitting these remarkable creatures to look in any direction, or
in two directions at once without the necessity of turning their heads.

Their ears, which are slightly above the eyes and closer together are
small cupped-shape antennae, protruding several inches from the head,
while their noses are but longitudinal slits in the center of their
faces, midway between their mouths and ears.

They have no hair on their bodies, which are of a very light
yellowish-green color in infancy, deepening to an olive green toward
maturity, the adult males being darker in color than the females.

The iris of the eyes is blood red, as an Albino's, while the pupil is
dark. The eyeball itself is very white, as are the teeth and it is
these latter which add a most ferocious appearance to an otherwise
fearsome and terrible countenance, as the lower tusks curve upward to
sharp points which end about where the eyes of earthly human beings are
located. The whiteness of the teeth is not that of ivory, but of the
snowiest and most gleaming of china. Against the dark background of
their olive skins their tusks stand out in a most striking manner,
causing these weapons to present a singularly formidable appearance.

They are a cruel and taciturn race, entirely devoid of love, sympathy
or pity.

They are an equestrian race, never walking other than to move about
their camps.

Their mounts, called thoats, are great savage beasts whose proportions
harmonize with those of their giant masters. They have eight legs and
broad flat tails larger at the tips than at the roots. They hold these
tails straight out while running. Their mouths are enormous, splitting
their heads from their snouts to their long, massive necks. Like their
masters, they are entirely devoid of hair, their skins being a dark
slate color and exceedingly smooth and glossy, with the exception of
the belly, which is white, and the legs, which shade from the slate of
the shoulders and hips to a vivid yellow at the feet. The feet are
heavily padded and nailless.

IIRC the Greens are supposed to be about 16 foot tall.

Also, If you get the chance read the first book of the second volume of The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

EDIT: And just to illustrate how language and the meaning of words evolves, from the same book:

.... the social life of a great capital of Barsoom is as gay and magnificent as any that may be found in the rich capitals of Earth.

Cheers, Martyn
--

nikharwood

sixsideddice

Yes, yes YES... my life is finallty complete. Edgar Rice Burroughs finally being bought to the big screen. I just hope Walt Disney do it justice like they did with the Sorcerers Apprentice.

I tell ya, if there was a range of 10mm John Carter minis (to cover all the books) I`d switch addictions like Mr Toad of Toad Hall "Pooh boating"  ;)

Six  :D

Hertsblue

Didn't someone once point out that, since all the animal life on Barsoom was carniverous, it would quickly be extinct for lack of a food-chain?  ;D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leon

If the Green Chaps are supposed to be 16ft tall, that's basically a 28mm figure.  Is there anything available in the myriad of 28's ranges that would serve for them?

Blaker

I think so. I know there are 15mm Greenies out there.

Blaker

Hmmm seems like this could start out as a dungeon crawl and Carter could come from the barbarian figure and the dungeon could be different shades of rust / red / russet?

Monster types maybe all the flying stuff from the Dungeon Monster range and you would have to have the Evil Trapper that looks other worldly and the Watcher .

What else could we use until Leon gets the Red and Green men done up?   :-\

GordonY

Just noticed Leons post, yeah they would be about the 28mm mark, but from memory didnt they also have 4 arms???

Also for the red men, clothing is minimal at best, usually just a harness to hang their weapons on, females as well. So I was thinking that you have a head start with the Amazons.

And Leon, try buying a Kindle, I've read more books on a e-book than I ever did before I had one.