Pro's of 10mm over other scales.

Started by 17-21l, 03 April 2010, 10:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurley

Well if the tank went till all where destroyed then I would say production started in year X till remodeled or destroyed.

Thanks
Chris Hurley   
warning up salt amounts when talking to this person.

Paint it Pink

I'd like to add my pros & cons too. First let me address the so called 10mm figure size, I won't use scale as such, because 10mm has no fixed scale, as I would define it anyway.  :o  I say this because I have figures from your WW1 range that are approximately 10mm high, and figures from the SF range that are clearly giants among men at nearly 13mm (12.97 to be precise). This really, really bugs me.

However, the figures have a good bulk to them and are a doddle to paint well. Nearly as easy to paint as 6mm, and a lot less time consuming than 15mm figures, which have always been a firm favourite of mine for skirmish gaming. I use to think that 6mm was God's one true scale, as having loads of miniatures on the table really rocks my boat when it comes to portraying bigger actions.  ;D

What I have discovered though is that using of 10mm figures is for me the ideal compromise wargame figure size, because it is easier to keep track of the small units, and I care about the forces under my command as they stand apart more as individuals, rather than tokens.  8)

As usual YMMV, T&CA, E&OE.  ::)
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Patrick R

- Price : £1-2 for a vehicle vs £10 for a 15mm tank.  Some Pendraken army packs are a steal.
- Size : A decent army fits in a small box
- Easy to paint.  It gets even better with the new washes.
- Enough detail so that you still see what's on the table, unlike 6mm
- Mass effect : Armies tend to look like armies, not the local reenactment society.

The only downside, Tank units can be quite heavy.

Leon

Quote from: Paint it Pink on 10 April 2010, 07:20:45 PM
I have figures from your WW1 range that are approximately 10mm high, and figures from the SF range that are clearly giants among men at nearly 13mm (12.97 to be precise). This really, really bugs me.

It's something we try to avoid, but with the Sci-Fi, we class them as 10mm but they were never designed to be used with the historical stuff.  The rest of our ranges do adhere to a general size rule, although there are exceptions in the much older ranges.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Paint it Pink

T'is a pity that the SF figures weren't kept to the same size rules, as it would have made them more attractive for mix & match games and crossovers. I would have bought a whole bunch of them too.
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

fishunter

Quote from: Patrick R on 15 April 2010, 07:14:17 PM
- Price : £1-2 for a vehicle vs £10 for a 15mm tank.  Some Pendraken army packs are a steal.
- Size : A decent army fits in a small box
- Easy to paint.  It gets even better with the new washes.
- Enough detail so that you still see what's on the table, unlike 6mm
- Mass effect : Armies tend to look like armies, not the local reenactment society.

The only downside, Tank units can be quite heavy.

Hi,
I think all sizes have their pros and cons. I personaly use everything from 6mm to 54mm.
I guess it depends where one's inclination is : detail Vs quantity Vs gaming space Vs price (in any order you like).
I personaly do not like to use miniatures as tokens(even though it's what they are if you think about it) but rather as small guys  following orders on my gaming table.So i tend to go with details and i 'm lucky enough to be able to have a 8" x 6" table at home(it took me about 20 years to get there though :-X )

I'd have to dissagree with you when it comes to price and especially when it comes to the detail level of some 6mm miniatures as you say.
Look out there and you will find some 6mm tanks for about 1£ a piece and with more details than a 1:35 kit.

So yes , there's definitly some great pros for 10mm but as well for many other scales.
Check forums on different scales , everybody will tell you that "their " scales is the best ;)

Like some old saying goes: Tastes and colors...
Only the fool wishes to go into battle to beat someone for the satisfaction of beating someone.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Patrick R on 15 April 2010, 07:14:17 PM

:D
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Last Hussar

I remember when some in our club produced a conversion for WarMaster in 25mm.  The others went "Why?". Why they wanted their units to be 12 figures instead of 36 I'll never know.

I actually think a lot of wargames make more sense in 10mm than 25, or even 15.

I have been trying to convince my son that 40K would be better in 10mm (He has Aspergers, so its even worse arguing with him than a normal Fanboy).  Instead of 1 28mm figure you put 2-3 10mm on a base. It still counts as 1 (ie fire by base, not figure), but your units represent 20-30 men - thats a platoon, and fire distances are now 30 x the height of a man, instead of 12.   Plus you wouldn't get those artillery duels at 2 vehicle lengths.

It works with almost any set - Shako.  The base sizes are 1 1/8 inches (nice convenient size there, Arty) by half an inch  Call it 30mm x 15mm.  Thats 4 or 5 wide by 2 deep, rather than 3x1.

Regiment of foot by Peter Pig. 1 base is 30mm square - 4 of their figures 2x2.  I get pike blocks of 16 figures per base with Pendraken stuff.

When people say "10mm, just halve the distances" my reaction is "why".  All it means is your vertical scale is less over blown than normal.

The only rules which are figure height specific that I know of is "Troops Weapons and Tactics" by TooFatLardies.  These were written specifically for the new hard plastic 28mm, and vertical and horizontal scales are the same - even then I'm using 20mm, and it works fine.  10mm would distort it - grenade range would appear to be 180 feet!  Of course you could easily play on 10mm, by annoying Rich, and going metric, but as its such a small scale - a platoon+ a side ; 45 figures; then the visual appeal would be lost (TW&T terrain is exactly what it looks like).

I'm going to stick with 6mm for my Cold War armies- for  tank heavy battles, but virtually everything else I start is 10mm (Next up, after painting mush of what I have is Charlie Dont Surf - Rules 1 VC and 1 'Free world' army pack - less than £60, though I will have to get some tracks and Hueys too.)
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Derek H

Quote from: Last Hussar on 01 July 2010, 12:45:09 AM
I'm going to stick with 6mm for my Cold War armies- for  tank heavy battles, but virtually everything else I start is 10mm (Next up, after painting mush of what I have is Charlie Dont Surf - Rules 1 VC and 1 'Free world' army pack - less than £60, though I will have to get some tracks and Hueys too.)

You'll need two of the US Army packs for the compoany you'll want and the VC Army pack is an unholy mix of VC and NVA

Peeler

For my two penny worth, 10mm has a pro over 6mm (which I also do) in that you can see them just that much better. Anda proover 15mm (which I also do) in that being smaller, you can use a smaller table, or have more figures. Cheaper, easier to paint, you can get more for your £. There's nothing not to like about 10mm IMO.  ;D

DanJ

So far I haven't found any "cons" to 10mm and am getting rid of my other scales as fast as possible, all the ancient 15s have gone, replaced by 10mm and the 25mm Naps are next to be replaced by Pendraken 7YW  :D

Unlike 6mm they're big enough to distinguish units and vehicles and they "sit" in the terrain rather than dominate hiills and trees, finally an army looks like an army, not just like a few big figures on a table.

17-21l

Yes - totaly agree mate - and the cost is lots cheaper- to achieve an 'army' rather than a skirmish amount of men(units). This is more apparant , say for instance AWI- in which a decent sized 'historical' army could be bought for £25 or such , lets face it doods- you cant winge at that!!

:D
God Save the Queen
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!