FOW? and other rules.

Started by Hurley, 09 March 2010, 05:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurley

Hummm well I've read all the post so far and well I'm not sure about FOW or BKC now. I'm kinda gun sly about games that people say are "elegant" cause in the past every game that I tried that people use that word to describe has turned out to be over simplified and I get the "Emperor's new cloths" effect of everyone who is anyone plays this game! But this could just be me.

Questions:

Does BKC have facings for tanks so that it matters if I shoot them in the side armour? 
warning up salt amounts when talking to this person.

Luddite

Quote from: Hurley on 25 March 2010, 05:33:37 PM
Does BKC have facings for tanks so that it matters if I shoot them in the side armour? 

Yes.

Although given the scale BkC plays at its more of an abstraction than simply 'thinner side armour'...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

lentulus

I find BKC works for me when each stand is a platoon; when the tanks are individual I want something a bit more "treadhead."  But BKC gets most of the play here, the tactical problems are real enough and two of the "dead" Panzer IVs on my side table right now can testify to the effectiveness of flank shots.

Jubilation T Cornpone

Does anyone ever 'cut and shunt' rules where they can't find a set that quite fits the bill? I like BKC and Rapid Fire but wish that BKC had combat resolution like Rapid Fire and that Rapid Fire had a command and control system like BKC!! I've often thought of combining the two. Anybody ever done this?
As to TFL rules. They come up with fun workable systems in some of their sets. Bag the Hun and Kis me Hardy are excellent and innovative. Can't get to grips with their WW2 sets though. Each to their own though. The great thing about wargaming is that there is a set of rules to suit nearly everybodys tastes. Well, nearly everybody anyway......

Gerard.

Kebabman

Yes Gerard,I use a hybrid of CWC and MSH for modern 6mm games.BKC/CWC are fantastic rules,but they do struggle when you play a very big game.I use the combat and movement from MSH and the command/the rest from CWC......Hope this helps..........
Professor of the bleedin obvious.

Martyn

FOW is for those who have spent far, far too much time in the company of elves and dwarfs!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Martyn

Interesting... What other life forms, fictional or otherwise live in Doncaster? ;D

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Is there any human life in Doncaster ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: Martyn on 10 April 2010, 08:09:25 PM
Interesting... What other life forms, fictional or otherwise live in Doncaster? ;D

I lived there for about 6 months and saw plenty of Trolls...
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

The_Shootist

FOW i wont touch with a barge pole any more, i wrote the lists for the British airborne for D-1, the mid war briefing and recently the lists for the market garden books. But in their usual wisdom they take hard work and historical accuracy and ignore them so they can sell more toys, which makes me sick.

I personally prefer Battlefront WW2 rules by fire&fury, these can be used with 10-20mm scales and is set at a battalion level BUT can be used for bigger brigade level games which we play at Bovvy

Steve J

Interesting to hear your comments on FoW Shootist :(. Personally I've pretty much given up on playing FoW, although I sometimes play a game with friends for a change, but to be honest, do not enjoy it. BKC ticks all the boxes for me.

The_Shootist

I find the fire and fury rules do the same for me currently writing new scenarios for early war, and planning a mega game at Bovvy in 2013.
Just waiting for the French stuff to be released..<hint>

Steve J

I've never played F&F but it looks quite good. I think I'll stick with BKC/CWC/FWC for my games as the mechanics are the same for each game which, I find, a big bonus these days.