Claymore Show Report!

Started by Leon, 09 August 2011, 04:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

This past weekend saw us dragging ourselves into the van for one of the earliest starts on the show calendar.  Me and Dave left Pendraken HQ just after 4am, for the 3 hour trip up to Edinburgh for the Claymore show.  The roads on the way up were clear, and we reached the outskirts of the city just before 7am.  The venue is situated along the side of the river, and is fairly easy to reach.  We had looked for accomodation for this one, but the prices in the local hotels were slightly inflated due to the Edinburgh festival.

Arriving at the venue, we found our spot in the secondary hall, which was slightly different this year, as we'd moved up one of the side walls away from the entrance door.  Setup was quick, and after a few changes, pretty easy. 

This show is held through two separate halls.  The larger Atrium is just inside the front entrance, and houses a collection of traders, a couple of games, and the cafeteria:

The second hall is down a long corridor, with the Bring and Buy on the way:

Last year, the signposting for the secondary hall wasn't great, and it affected the numbers of people who wandered down over the first few hours, but this year there were several large signs pointing folk in the right direction.  This hall houses a load more traders, and a good collection of games:

The show opened at 10am, but as with the previous year, it really took some time for people to reach our hall, despite the extra signposting.  I think this is just that folk like to have a look round the first hall, then have a good browse through the Bring & Buy, so it does take time to reach us.  Once they did, we enjoyed ourselves, chatting with various folk.  As usual, the Forum members were about, but keeping themselves anonymous!

Lunchtime drifted by, and while we were ticking over nicely, it was quieter than last year.  I heard a couple of conflicting verdicts on the numbers through the door, but the two halls certainly didn't look as full as I remember from last time.  Dave pottered off just after 2ish to get some food, but came back to report that the cafeteria was closed, and we couldn't get anything?  This was a shame, as I had to resort to a NutriGrain bar from a vending machine for my dinner!

Still, as with all of the shows up this way, the friendly atmosphere is the real strong point of the day, and it's always an enjoyable time. 

As closing time approached, so did the rain, and the bright skies of the morning turned dark, and unfortunately, wet.  Packing away in the rain is never fun!  Dave grabbed the van from the separate car park, and we got ourselves loaded up, before hitting the road for the trip back home.

All in all, a nice day out, but generally down from last year.  This is to be expected on the whole with the economy, but it also means that the Falkirk show has for now pushed Claymore into second place...!   ;)  We'll have to see whether they can keep hold of it next year!

So, onto the games:

Thanks to the SESWC, we'll see you next year!

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

db777

I popped across to the show (from Glasgow). This was the first wargame show I'd been to as I've only just taken up collecting 10mm (having collected GW stuff in my younger days). I felt somewhat overwhelmed and under resourced (in the wallet department!). So much stuff to buy. Took us a couple of circuits of both the halls before I began to take it all in. Met some nice people and although I'll remember to bring more cash next time I still managed to pick up a Barbarian, Dwarf and Beggar army from the Pendraken stand (served by the gent wearing the light blue shirt in the first picture). I would have introduced myself but since I'd never posted on the forum I thought it would just be weird and stalkerish! Anyhow, looking forward to getting to more of the shows as I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I may even say hello next time! Thanks for the great figures and excellent value.

Derek

Leon

Hi Derek, welcome to the Forum! 

If you'd introduced yourself and said you were on the Forum, Dave would probably have looked at you blankly, he doesn't spend much time on the interwebs!  I'll have been about myself, but you may have caught me during one of my wanders about grabbing the photo's!  Be good to meet you next time, which other shows are you considering coming to?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Leon - nice photos, ccould do wit explanation....

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Derek H

You're lucky the cafe was shut.  The food was truly awful. 

Next year I'll be going to the Morrisons next door for some sandwiches. 

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 11 August 2011, 08:47:15 AM

IanS

Yeah, it's something I could try and add, but at most shows, I'm very pressed for time.  I'll see what I can do at the next one.

Quote from: Derek H on 11 August 2011, 02:35:59 PM

Dave grabbed some chips earlier in the day, but I didn't have any. Sounds like a good move on my part then?!   :D

Derek H

The chips were OK.  It was the burgers and hot dogs that were really horrible.

Leon

Quote from: Derek H on 11 August 2011, 06:52:14 PM
The chips were OK.  It was the burgers and hot dogs that were really horrible.

Ah right.  They could have done with staying open a bit longer to be honest.  It wouldn't have to be full on hot food service, but Dave couldn't get a coffee after 2, which was a shame, especially when he'd been up since 3:30am!

db777

Quote from: Leon on 11 August 2011, 12:40:16 AM
Be good to meet you next time, which other shows are you considering coming to?

Thanks. I'm not sure what other shows I'm going to yet, but will look out for you at the next one! Cheers, Derek.

alnewhaven

Quote from: Derek H on 11 August 2011, 02:35:59 PM

Next year I'll be going to the Morrisons next door for some sandwiches. 

Agreee.  The burger I got could have been used as scenery!!
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
-(Sign over the entrance to the SR-71 operating location Kadena, Japan).

nikharwood

Quote from: ianrs54 on 11 August 2011, 08:47:15 AM

IanS

They're wargames Ian - do try to keep up :P

No dey is not, dey is games workshop......

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021