And the Winners Are!

Started by Leon, 03 August 2011, 05:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

03 August 2011, 05:51:23 PM Last Edit: 03 August 2011, 09:33:34 PM by Leon
Well, we've locked the Judges away in a Dungeon-like room for the past two days, as they worked through the entries and tried to find a winner.  This was a much harder task than we anticipated, as we had a fantastic collection of sculpts.  Some of them showed great imagination, with time spent on describing the monster.  Others showed originality, bringing the weird and wonderful to 10mm.  And others simply displayed amazing sculpting ability.

But, in the end of course, there has to be a winner, and a couple of entries filled all of the criteria we were looking for.  Well sculpted, imaginitive, with well-thought out backgrounds to them.  So we'd like to present the winner of the 2011 Pendraken Sculpting competition:

Manticore, by Nico!

"With it's bear pranks, lion body and the face of a starving man, the Manticore features a gruesome visual nature. His scorpion-like tail is protected by thick armor and difficult to evade, it says those hit will not die but only lose control of their body - while being eaten alive. This unnatural predator's lair is among the places even most knights and heroes would avoid, since an encounter with the beast always brings harm."

This entry grabbed the attention of all 3 judges, picking up 8 of out of a maximum 9 points available.  The judges loved the character along with the quality of the sculpt, and were impressed by the story which accompanied it.

And the runner-up in the 2011 Pendraken Sculpting Competition is:

Tile Golem, by Nico

"Appearing as a human-sized abomination of sand and stone, the tile golem's humble appearance poorly gives his true nature credit.
He is a master shapeshifter and more of a dungeon poltergeist than a true golem. In fact, he is very alike to a djinn. Whatever his focus is, he protects it with all means. The floor is his skin and the walls his ears and eyes. He emerges from the ground as quick as he disappears again, forms shield and blades of rock or becomes a living wall, frustrating a desperate escape. Whoever smites him merely delays his resurrection. The only way of getting rid of this danger is stealing or destroying his focus, thus becoming his master or destroyer. Of course, he will always try to regain control."

The runner-up spot was a much more closely contested affair, with 4 other sculpts all gaining points.  In the end, the Tile Golem beat them out by a single point!  This one was one of the most Dungeon-y of the entries, and could easily be imagined breaking through the floor in front of our intrepid heroes and grabbing one of them.  Again, excellent sculpting combined with a great description won the Judges over.

So, it's a big congratulations to Nico, who managed to grab both of the top spots.  He wins a combined £45 Pendraken voucher, and the Manticore (and hopefully the Tile Golem!) will soon be gracing a Dungeon near you!

All of us here at Pendraken would like to thank everyone who entered, and whilst both prizes are heading Nico's way, it really was a close run affair for that second spot.  The quality of the work on display was excellent, and we hope you all enjoyed taking part.  We'll let everyone know when the winning sculpt is available, and please have a look through the entries (http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2779.0), and let us know which was your favourite!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Annatar

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!

Ivan

congrats Nico, nice work!  =D>

goat major

Congrats Nico and well done to everyone who entered - I'm really impressed by all the entries
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

nikharwood

Absolutely - well done that man! - and to all the entrants, some great stuff there  8)

sixsideddice

03 August 2011, 11:34:33 PM #5 Last Edit: 04 August 2011, 12:36:42 AM by sixsideddice
Congratulations Nico... wow, two wins. Amazing.

Congratulations and thank you to everyone who entered. It was a tough decision for all the judges, and we spent a lot of deliberation locked away in the mod forum (a dungeon room designed especially for us to be spoon fed gruel by domesticated goblins and not let out until we had made our choices). At the end of the day, the decisions were all made independently of one another, and without any of the judges knowing where the others were going to cast their votes, so the final results were as much a mystery to us as anyone else.

The Wins were well deserved. And a bit like Glee, American Idol, or Master Chef, in many cases it was just plain sad to see any of the sculpts not take the ultimate prize. All said and done, there could only be one winner.

Well done everyone.

Six  :)

Arsenus

Wooott!!  Congratulations and as we say in France:

Beau boulot tout le monde!
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Sandinista

there are quite a few of those that did not win that i would like you to cast up

DFlynSqrl

Awesome job Nico!  Congrats!   8)

Germy

Congratulations to the winner. I think it would also be fair to say the judges (myself included) commented that quite a few of the entries would be good additions to the dungeon range.
So well done to Nico, and also very well done to all those who put the effort in to sculpt something. I say carry on with your efforts, post up WIP's and who knows the Pendraken talent scouts may well come knocking  8)

count_zero99uk

Well done, both are well made and bold enough to be painted well :)

Look forward to seeing them both (i hope) in production soon.

Take care all

Brian
http://brushwars.wordpress.com/

Sinister Jester

Congratulations to all who entered! It is always great fun to see what everyone enters.
Thanks to Pendraken for giving the chance to have such a great contest.

Now on to GenCon Indy!

stevothedivo

After all the duly earned congratulations - when can I buy these?
LOL!
Never trust a camel or any other creature that can go without a drink longer than a week.<br />Never drive a car when you're dead - Tom Waits (Telephone Call from Istambul)

Leon

Quote from: punkskum on 05 August 2011, 10:58:49 AM
After all the duly earned congratulations - when can I buy these?
LOL!

As soon as possible really.  The Manticore is all putty, so we can mould that one as soon as it arrives.  If Nico is happy for us to have the Tile Golem as well, that one would take a little longer, as it's got plasticard in it, and we'd need to have enough masters to fill a low-temp mould.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That is a tip-top pair of winners, well done to all!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner