Phalanx Show Report!

Started by Leon, 20 June 2011, 03:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

20 June 2011, 03:19:48 AM Last Edit: 20 June 2011, 03:23:23 AM by Leon
This was the last of 3 shows in a row for us, and it was another early start, with me and Dave on the road by 4:30am!  It was an odd start to the day as well, as for some reason, as we motored along towards the A19, there were more pigeons on the road than I have ever seen in my life.  No idea what they were up to, but anyway...  :-\

As some of you may remember, last year was the Great Van Disaster, and we looked fondly (!) at the spot where we broke down last time, as we happily cruised past in van Mk II.  The trip to St Helens is a lot shorter than we anticipated, and with only a bit of fog coming over the Pennines, we arrived in a little over 2 hours, at 6:45am.  The venue is also very easy to find, firstly being only 2 roundabouts away from the M62, and secondly, they've got proper AA roadsigns to direct you!  Not many shows have that!  

Surprisingly, the venue was open and there were already a few traders setting up when we got there, and a couple of club members (in cool purple-ish shirts) helping out.  We had a nice 18ft stand, with loads of space, and got set up very quickly.

Dave popped off to grab some toast, while I chatted with various other traders.  This show is held in a single main sports hall, with the Bring and Buy in a smaller room on the way in, and the cafe up a flight of stairs.

Main hall:

Bring and Buy:

The show opened at 10am, and we were pretty quiet for the first hour or so.  With the early start to the day, Dave took the opportunity to grab a quick nap!

Trade picked up around 11-ish, and we were busy from then through 'til about 1.  We had visits from a load of people at this one, including Fred12df, who dropped off the winning Sherman from the Painting Comp.  Chad popped by to pick up an order, and we also had chance to chat with Snafu for a while.  One other visitor of note was Lord Bishop.  A few months ago, he ran an online vote on his blog, asking people who the best 10mm manufacturer was.  After a huge amount of votes, we came out on top, and he sent us a certificate which sits proudly on the wall next to the Pendraken computer.  However, he decided to go one step further, and arrived at the show with a very special gift for us:

:-bd

This trophy will also get pride of place on the desk at work, and I might ask Matt if he can put something on the website!  For anyone interested, his blog can be found here: http://grandscalewargaming.blogspot.com/, and there is a recent entry with an interview with Fabio from TB Line, who came second in the poll.

Dave nipped up to the cafe at lunchtime for some dinner.  The queue's were quite long, but once at the front, he was served quickly, and the food was good.  He said they were cooking everything to order, so it was piping hot when he came back down to the stand with it.

The show quietened down quite early, but that gave us chance to have a wander about ourselves and chat with some of the other traders.  One interesting story we heard was about a chap who runs a painting service, and to show people what kind of quality they can expect, he painted a figure from a very well-known company and put it on his website.  Shortly after, he received a 'cease and desist' type email from said company, telling him to take the image down, as he was 'profiting from their brandname'.   ??? =)  Ridiculous.

Anyway, the afternoon progressed nicely, steady flow of customers, and time to chat with folk.  People started to pack away around half 3, and we followed suit, getting everything down and into the van by half 4.  The sun had appeared and was beaming down nicely as we hopped back onto the M62 and headed home.

The games at this one were excellent, so I tried to grab a few more pics than usual.

All in all, this was a good day out.  The van didn't break down, we had chance to chat with a load of people, and we got a trophy!  Now if someone can explain what all those pigeons were about, I'll be over the moon!   :D

Next up is the Claymore show in Edinburgh, but we've got a nice little break before then, giving us time to catch up on the orders!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Dickie255

:'( Damn! It looks like I missed a really good show! I spoke to a few people yesterday who commented on how well it went...........oh well! Maybe next year?

Anyway, regarding the pigeons, I believe that birds need grit to digest their food, so I think that possibly they were taking advantage of the quiet roads to supplement their diet. However, maybe there are some pigeon fanciers on the forum who could otherwise advise.................to be continued   :-\

Bishop Lord

Hi,
Yep, Good to finally meet up with Leon and Dave, nice chaps and thoroughly deserving of the award which they've won for the past two years now, can they make it three in a row?? Votes in the first year where just into the hundreds, this year they where well into the hundreds so who knows what next year will bring :) As for the show Id agree as always a good show,Ive also put up a small report on my visit to Phalanx on my Blog for any one who wants a personalized point of view ;) no photos though I forgot my camera. Also forgot to get my photo took in the Pendraken helm :(

http://grandscalewargaming.blogspot.com/

Jason
" there is no more Jerusalem, I shall go to Cyprus..."

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

nikharwood

Looks like a good show indeed - lots of nice games there  8)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Our club trader wasnt too impresed...mind you he never is.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 21 June 2011, 10:10:35 AM
Our club trader wasnt too impresed...mind you he never is.

IanS

Were you at this one?  I wasn't sure if you'd be attending.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Know it's local. but with no income, no. I'll let you guess who the trader was.....

IanS  :D

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 22 June 2011, 09:29:55 AM
I'll let you guess who the trader was.....

No idea, I'm not up on where some traders are from.  The only guys I know from your area are Critical Mass over in Wigan?

No - no Pie Eaters........

IanS

Leon

Pie Eater - comes from Wigan. Particularly if you livbe in St Helens (I dont).

IanS

Leon

Quote from: ianrs54 on 26 June 2011, 09:34:42 AM
Pie Eater - comes from Wigan. Particularly if you livbe in St Helens (I dont).

IanS

Aah...  8)

kippax

OMG
I went to this show ,it was my first truth be known took the mrs with me didnt have control of the wallet that day if i remember  >:(
I have know idea how but completely missed your stand :o which is a pain cos i needed to look at what im buying first "call me old fashioned" .
We both enjoyed the afternoon even the mrs mentioned hoe good the gaming table's was she liked the ECW one the best ..
Hope to catch you another time ..
"Stupid Boy"

Leon

Quote from: kippax on 18 September 2011, 09:41:30 AM
OMG
I went to this show ,it was my first truth be known took the mrs with me didnt have control of the wallet that day if i remember  >:(
I have know idea how but completely missed your stand :o which is a pain cos i needed to look at what im buying first "call me old fashioned" .
We both enjoyed the afternoon even the mrs mentioned hoe good the gaming table's was she liked the ECW one the best ..
Hope to catch you another time ..

No worries, come see us at Derby and we'll give you the tour of the ranges!   8)