Durham Wargames Show Report!

Started by Leon, 13 June 2011, 05:05:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

13 June 2011, 05:05:17 AM Last Edit: 13 June 2011, 05:09:29 AM by Leon
The Durham show is our most local after Smoggycon, and is a handy 30-40 minute drive up the road.  It's held in Durham Wargames Club's own venue, and is a very relaxed and friendly day out.  Me and the missus were on the road by 6:30am, and arrived at the venue shortly after 7, with Dave leading the way in his own car.  There was another trader in the car park when we arrived, so we parked up and waited for someone to let us in.  There was a new cafe this year in a smaller unit to the side of the venue, which was already open when we arrived.  This would be supplying the food for lunch as well.

Once the doors were opened, there was a huge team of club members helping us get everything in, and we also had a bit of help from Mark and Ray from Under The Bed.  We got the stand up quickly, with my better half setting up the Minibits stand, which had it's own 6 foot table.

With our new little paintbrush stand, all handily lasered by the missus, and badly painted by me...  :(

People started wandering in at around 9:40ish.  This show is a very laid-back affair, which makes for a great atmosphere, and it's a nice one to be able to stop and chat with people a bit more.  Durham Club and Forum member brothercrow had put together a WWII display game right in front of our stand, and it was great to watch this one unfold over the day, as well as being able to point interested folk in a 10mm direction!

Main hall:

Second hall:

There was also a Bring and Buy in a smaller room off the main corridor.  Dave had a quick look in, and spotted a few things, but I forgot to go back at the end of the day to see if they'd sold!

At around 11:30 Dave left us, as his boss at work was retiring and he had a hard day's drinking in York planned.  That left me and my good lady to hold the fort.  The morning went well, lots of familiar faces dropping by and having a chat.  At lunchtime Adele went next door and picked us up some panini's from the cafe next door, which were excellent.  The afternoon carried on at a leisurely pace, before a short rush around 2ish.  The weather outside had gone from overcast but warm, to a more chilly affair, and the main hall we were in was pretty cold with big double doors open (The cafe was outside, so that was people's access).

Luddite popped by after lunch and we had a good chat about various bits and bobs, and along with brothercrow, we also had our very own Gandalf who came by during the morning, and member Tommy Atkins who was running another display game further down the main hall.

By 3 o'clock, everything was winding down, so we started to strip the stand down.  Once the show had finished, the Durham members were again on hand to help us get everything back into the van, so a big thanks to them for all their help during the day.  We will certainly be back next year!

So, for the games!

brothercrow's WWII game (and more photo's here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.104031186357608.6623.100002521810962&l=003bd17dfe)

This was a solo display game, with just the one chap playing it through:

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Luddite

Nice one Leon.

It was a closre run thing getting it sorted though..

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

nikharwood

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

=O  ... and I am actually sat here laughing, genius!  Well done to whoever put that together.   =D>

Wait 'til Gandalf sees the Smoggycon mention though...  ;)  :D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GordonY

Yeah that clip has been used for so many things, first time I saw it Hitler was getting his World of Warcraft account banned for cheating, but no matter what the subject, it never fails to amuse.