Armoured ogres

Started by Dunnadd, 09 June 2011, 05:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: Nico on 09 September 2011, 10:18:57 AM
I like the idea. I think I'll sculpt a bunch and make them fit the dungeon range, i.e. put them on 15² bases. For fun at least. Maybe a handful, with axe, mace, club, cleaver, cleave-axe; wearing leather and hide armor, shoulder plates and shields occasionally.

Cheers

Now that could tempt the multiple pound notes out of my wallet!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Sounds good.  I've just bought lots of minatours  as stand ins for WM Ogres but more variety is always good.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sixsideddice

The Trolls are excellent. I do already use the Troll Leader in my Middle Earth games. There’s nothing a good piece of custom placed armour here, or a `green stuff` tusk there that a good pair of hands can`t make an awesome mini look even more in keeping with your desired mythos.

Sizes, in fantasy; I mean what is the size of a Rat, or a Dwarf, or a....  whatever?

No, end of the day it’s down to whether you like the whimsical, often inspired, and absolutely different (aka unique) line that Pendraken makes, or whether you want to go for the GW `sheep mentality `"Oh look, my army looks e-x-a-c-t-l-y like your army, oh! and look, so does his.. and his, and his". Personally I like Pendraken for what it does. By this I mean it offers a unique peek into a fantastical subject, offers a comprehensive (all metal) range covering a myriad of creatures and humanoids, and offers them to us for an unbeatably affordable price.

1.60 for a pack of 10 miniatures is a heck of a good price I think.

Naaa, give me a Pendraken Miniatures Troll, or any other mini for that matter any day over 10mm things made by anyone else.

I don`t know about you, but I like to build my collection to be aesthetically complete. By this I mean I like to ensure that when I start collecting a range... I know I will be able to flesh it out and complete that collection - all from just one company. This way the collection feels like a collection and not a hotchpotch amalgamation of thrown together pieces from a series of different non matching ranges.... if you collected “Clare Craft Pottery Cottages”, would you put a John Turner “Made in Clay” one on the same shelf alongside them?  There’s nothing as pleasing as picking off `this and that` all from just one favoured company, and watching a complete collection grow steadily over time. And Pendraken offers me just that. A vast range to choose and collect from, and at a great price.

Of course, this is only my opinion, and each collector is free to choose exactly what they want for themselves. But for my two pennies worth, ROCK ON Pendraken Miniatures.

Happy gaming  :)

Six   :D

Nico

There's no doubt the Pendraken prices are unbeatable ! Perfectly fair prices.  :o

I like the Troll Leader - shame I didn't see it before, should get one :) . He's like the big and trolly butcher you can not identify as a member of any known race, who cuts and slices everything his master, the alchimist, likes to throw in his soup (and who's probably the product of a slave thrown into such a soup). But they actually are a bit cartoony. They remind me a lot of what I imagined "The Hobbit" 's troll trio would look like. If you imagine your ogres as cruel and merciless beasts driven by their endless hunger for human flesh that'll creep the hell out of you in a narrow dungeon corridor you need something more ... evil  :d

Cheers !

KOVAV

I support the idea of armored ogres BUT I do agree with what Sixsideddice said about pendraken. use creativity, the same kind of flair that is seen in the rest of your minies! I am useing pendraken for WHFB, but that does not mean I cant aprrecaite things that dont support GW hegemony.
Glory and Fame! blood is our name! souls full of thunder! hearts of steel! killers of men! a warriors friend! sword to avenge our fallen brothers to the end! one day to, I may fall; I shall enter odins hall!I shall die, sword in hand! my name, and my deeds shall scorch the land!

sixsideddice

QuoteI support the idea of armored ogres BUT I do agree with what Sixsideddice said about pendraken. use creativity, the same kind of flair that is seen in the rest of your minies! I am useing pendraken for WHFB, but that does not mean I cant aprrecaite things that dont support GW hegemony.

With you there 100% KOV, and it looks like together well be creating from scratch on this one, you initially on your Empire (if I read correctly) and me on my Undead legions. This is going to be fun.

Now where did I put my Armoured Ogres..... ah yes!

Six  :)

KOVAV

you read correctly. its going to epic. pity it will take 4 weeks or longer for my minies to get to me from across the pond. I wont be able to start until then. togather we shall be fighting the two headed monster of GW overpricing and the overall killer of time/money that is 28mm
Glory and Fame! blood is our name! souls full of thunder! hearts of steel! killers of men! a warriors friend! sword to avenge our fallen brothers to the end! one day to, I may fall; I shall enter odins hall!I shall die, sword in hand! my name, and my deeds shall scorch the land!

sixsideddice

Quoteyou read correctly. its going to epic. pity it will take 4 weeks or longer for my minies to get to me from across the pond. I wont be able to start until then. togather we shall be fighting the two headed monster of GW overpricing and the overall killer of time/money that is 28mm

I like you already  ;)  we think alike.

Hmmm, while you wait for your minis to arrive, how about browsing all you can on line about 10mm (sadly, there`s not nearly enough material on this scale, but there are some gem sites and blogs to be found). Its what I did way back when I started in this scale and while I was pacing and waiting for my first order to wing its way to me.

Six

KOVAV

Quote from: sixsideddice on 13 September 2011, 12:33:14 AM
I like you already  ;)  we think alike.

Hmmm, while you wait for your minis to arrive, how about browsing all you can on line about 10mm (sadly, there`s not nearly enough material on this scale, but there are some gem sites and blogs to be found). Its what I did way back when I started in this scale and while I was pacing and waiting for my first order to wing its way to me.

Six
Aye, we do think alike. I sense we are destined by the Gods of War to brothers in nerdiness over the internet.  I will take your advice all the way to the limits of my google-fu

nikharwood

Ah - bonding between us gamer geeks. 'tis a beautiful thing  :-B >:< :-B

sixsideddice

QuoteAye, we do think alike. I sense we are destined by the Gods of War to brothers in nerdiness over the internet.  I will take your advice all the way to the limits of my google-fu

... and seals the bond in a wrist clasp, while heartily reciting: "brōþors ēac sweostors. ic ƿille séon þéc on Ƿælhealle mín bróðor."

QuoteAh - bonding between us gamer geeks. 'tis a beautiful thing 

=O

Six  :D

KOVAV

och, google translate fails me once again. what language is that?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Looks like Old English or Gallic
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sixsideddice

hehe, you probably wouldn`t find it on line; the language is Anglo Saxon; which is often bastardised in movies and by companies (like GW) for their suitably sounding book material.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

At last, that unit of Old and Middle English I did at Uni will be useful for something, 20 years later...