First of the WW2 French!

Started by Leon, 25 May 2011, 02:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NTM

Don't forget the Saarland Offensive in 1939 could make an interesting what-if scenario/campaign.

DaveH

For early war French with Lebel surely you could use WWI infantry?

Quote from: hamsterking on 25 May 2011, 11:19:24 AM
From what I have read of French LMGs he is probable on his knees preying the f#**! thing will work.
But flippancy aside it is a sensible question.

Not in WWII with the FM24/29 - very close to the Bren gun in design and performance though partially based on the BAR.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Except - it takes a differnt cartridge to the bulk of French rifles, and the first batches had wepons explode. Infinatly better than the WWI thing, or the Italian Breda though.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

nikharwood

Quote from: ianrs54 on 31 May 2011, 05:17:58 PM
Except - it takes a differnt cartridge to the bulk of French rifles

I don't reckon I'm going to notice that in 10mm though  ;) :)

Only if you are running logisitics.

IanS

Hurrah

Quote from: ianrs54 on 31 May 2011, 05:17:58 PM
Except - it takes a differnt cartridge to the bulk of French rifles, and the first batches had wepons explode. Infinatly better than the WWI thing, or the Italian Breda though.

IanS

From a French ww2 re-enactor I know.

The FM 24/29 fired the same cartridge as the Mas 36 which was supposed to be the standard issue rifle (until the semi-auto mas 40 was in production, they were just tooling up to make it in may/june 1940, that would later became the Mas 49). but the war coming quicker than expected and the need are arm about 4 million+ men ASAP meant the older labels and berthiers were the most common weapons issued in 1940. The 'professional' arm (the divisions that went to Belgium) was mostly equipt with Mas 36s while reserve and garrison units had to make do with the older label and berthier models. The Label was still retained by the company grenadier section in all divisions because it was such a strong/heavy weapon it could reliably take the stresses of launching rifle grenades, something the MAS couldn't.

The cartridge exploding was from the soldiers in north Africa trying to fire Mauser 7.92 cartridges captured during campaigns there rather than the older less powerful, but almost similar dimensioned lebel/berthier 8mm cartridges. Hence the change to a smaller cartridge (so the mauser round could not fit)

And I thought i wore a padded Norwiegian jacket  :d :D ;D