How many years in 10mm?

Started by Arsenus, 22 May 2011, 06:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arsenus

So, guys, how many years did you painted 10 mm?

I have do so since 4 months!^^
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Difficult one this:
Bought some 'Aliens' when they first came out (mid to late 90s)...
then...
Nothing...
Until 2009 when I started doing Franco-Prussian and now AWI.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Maenoferren

Quote from: mad lemmey on 22 May 2011, 07:54:51 PM
Difficult one this:
Bought some 'Aliens' when they first came out (mid to late 90s)...
then...
Nothing...
Until 2009 when I started doing Franco-Prussian and now AWI.
pretty much the same - whenever the 'Aliens' were produced I got some then and then came back last year unless (whispering) warmaster counts  :-[ :-[ then whenever the lizardmen came out still have thousands of the blighters
The dwarves, chaos and high elves are probably going the journey had them for years and still in the boxes etc that they came in :-[ :-[
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Fenton

I think I bought some Wargames South stuff when Crossfire was first released as we reckoned it would be better in that scale..then lots of undead  stuff for warmaster and some WSS stuff about 10 years ago
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

nikharwood

Well, I think Warmaster was released in 2000? That was my jump-in point for 10mm...and have never looked back  8)

Sandinista

About 2 years ago, now any new project is in 10mm. Still use other scales but unlikely to start a new project in one of them.

republic of tolworth

I think '93 was my start. On and off for many years, but right back in there for the last two years.

Still have some 6mm and 15mm. Looking to sell of any lingering 25-30mm as soon as poss' as never use and need money for more 10mm :D
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Wkeyser

I will go with Warmaster also, however, still paint 5mm, 15mm and 25-28mm, I have the attention span of a nine year old with ADHD in a candy store when it comes to miniatures.
William

NTM

Don't recall exactly but had the 1812 Napoleonics in 2004 as I posted a short review on the GdB website then. Cannot remember if I bought Napoleonics or WWII first so may be a little earlier.

goat major

about 3 i think. I paint very slowly....
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Hertsblue

Played 1/200th in the seventies. Bought out a few tanks in the eighties when the owners bailed out of the period. Found that the 10mm infantry (not Pendraken) were just too big and frankly awful. Gave it up as a bad job. Got back into 10mm Marlburian in the mid nineties. Never looked back.  :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

fred.

It was about 6 years ago, when I got back into miniatures and gaming after a 15+ year gap, I discovered 10mm, firstly through Warmaster, then Blitzkrieg commander and Pendraken, Pithead and Minifigs.

Now I have rather a lot of "armies" with a high percentage painted too.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Shecky

I've probably been actively painting 10mm for about 3 years now. I first bought 10mm figures about 10 years ago or more when I bought the 1860s Italian army pack. My local gaming group was doing a 19th century European campaign game and I volunteered to be Italy. The campaign never got off the ground and the figures have gone unpainted.
About 3 years ago I decided I wanted to do TYW. I wanted large armies but didn't want to spend a lot of money to do so. I only got about 1/2 of them painted as I couldn't find a rules set to use and I already rebased the painted figures twice.
I also started a 10mm ACW project that keeps getting sidelined due to other intersts. I actually started it with OG 10mm figures - bought a whole bunch of them because that's what my local store carried at the time. I painted and based a bunch of figures until I realized that OG bases are not all the same size. For most of their figures, OG casts 5 figures to a base. However I found out that some bases fit nicely on a 1" base and others hang over by about 1/4".  I then switched to Pendraken but soon lost interest in ACW.
I also went with 10mm for my WWII and Vietnam projects. I liked the fact that I didn't have to spend a lot of money to build the forces, especially since the price for 10mm vehicles is WAY less than for 15mm or 28mm.
About 10 months ago I started a 10mm AWI project that seems to grow by the month as new figures are released. I love the figures and they are a joy to paint.
Now I'm already thinking about my next project - LOA or FPW

DanJ

Not sure, possibly 15 years, although then they were 1:200 scale and only available from skytrex.

I wanted to do WW2 western desert but 15mm were too big, 1:300 to small but 1:200 were just right.

Nowadays 10mm figures and expecially tanks are much larger than 1:200 but I still occasionally use my old figures for running arround in the desert.

Steve J

About a couple of years and now my scale of choice for most games that I play.