My WIP(s)

Started by capthugeca, 13 May 2011, 03:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pruneau

This one is nice and original!
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

nikharwood

Agreed - nicely done; I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out  8)

capthugeca

Quote from: nikharwood on 17 May 2011, 10:47:52 PM
Agreed - nicely done; I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one turns out  8)

So am I!  :D
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

capthugeca

Now on a base and the start of a tentacle:-

I haven't got a name for the creature yet but this evening I'll add my idea of how it survives in dungeons.

capthugeca

I think I'll call it an Amorphous Blob.

My thoughts are that these creatures have no fixed form. While they can appear to have eyes and drooling mouths, they can neither see or use their mouth to eat. They simply adopt this sickening form to strike fear or madness into their victims.

They spend their time on the ceiling of confined spaces, such as corridors, sensing the movement of creatures below.

If an individual person passes below them their prefered method of attack is  to drop on them, knocking them to the ground and suffocating them before absorbing them into their bodies and disolving them.
If there is more than one creature, they will often drop in front of them blocking the corridor. When the "dungeoneers" turn to retrace their steps they will find another blob behind them blocking their escape. The blobs will then gradually move towards each other and seeking to engulf their victims. [It is not actually certain whether this is carried out by two blobs or whether these creatures are able to divide into two and then reform again]

Leon

Quote from: capthugeca on 19 May 2011, 11:50:26 PM
I think I'll call it an Amorphous Blob.

My thoughts are that these creatures have no fixed form. While they can appear to have eyes and drooling mouths, they can neither see or use their mouth to eat. They simply adopt this sickening form to strike fear or madness into their victims.

They spend their time on the ceiling of confined spaces, such as corridors, sensing the movement of creatures below.

If an individual person passes below them their prefered method of attack is  to drop on them, knocking them to the ground and suffocating them before absorbing them into their bodies and disolving them.
If there is more than one creature, they will often drop in front of them blocking the corridor. When the "dungeoneers" turn to retrace their steps they will find another blob behind them blocking their escape. The blobs will then gradually move towards each other and seeking to engulf their victims. [It is not actually certain whether this is carried out by two blobs or whether these creatures are able to divide into two and then reform again]

8) :-bd
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Excellently thought out !

Cheers - Phil

capthugeca

Thanks Leon & Phil.

As I can't draw, I'm using that idea to guide the sculpting.

capthugeca

More tentacles now though still more to come and I've added a third 'eye' as well.

I've given it a good "blitz" with a colour shapper to make it smoother though still some way to go.
I have to say, I can not believe what an improvement one of these tools makes to my sculpting, so thanks, Clibanarium et al, for recommended them. That alone has made taking part in this competition worthwhile.

The struggle I am having at the moment is how to make its 'mouth' (to the left of its lowest 'eye') more believable. I want it to look more formless and dribbly but at the moment it looks too 'normal'). All suggestions very welcome!  :)

sixsideddice

I want one of those in my games  ;)

Techno

Quote from: capthugeca on 20 May 2011, 05:22:22 PM

The struggle I am having at the moment is how to make its 'mouth' (to the left of its lowest 'eye') more believable. I want it to look more formless and dribbly but at the moment it looks too 'normal'). All suggestions very welcome!  :)

Hmmmm....Formless and dribbly.... That's a difficult one !....And I don't want to send you down the wrong route, especially as it's going so well.
Perhaps....make the 'mouth' slightly larger....but more irregular in shape ? (almost more of a 'random hole'.).... Maybe
have the hole surrounded by three or so pseudopods ? (is that what they're called ?....It's a long,long time since I did zoology.)

Don't muck it up on my account though Capthugeca !

Cheers - Phil.

nikharwood

Excellent progress - nicely done  8)

capthugeca

During a week of R&R, I managed to get going on my second figure. This is as far as I have got so far.

I'm not sure how it's going to end up yet othere than the fact that it is only going to have one eye.

Sandinista

looking at last figure listening to Hawkwind's "Ghost Dance" it just seems right  @-)

capthugeca

I never was into Hawkwind in my youth. More a Genesis, Yes,ELP and Moody Blues man, myself.

I'll have a listen to the track and see it gives me any inspiration about the figure's form.  :)