WW2 US colours - HELP

Started by johnny boy, 06 May 2011, 11:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

As a long time German player I am having a bit of difficulty in finding colours for both uniforms and vehicles that I am happy with  >:(. I know it sound silly but some of the dark greens are just too dark on 10mm models and I now own a large number of green paints which are basically redundant  :-[. I had the same problem with the German kit but after much trial and error settled on a set of colours that work  :D.
I will be buying a lot more stuff to finish my armoured infantry and tank company at the Fal;kirk show tomorrow and want to get painting as quickly as I can due to the size of my lead mountain  ;).

John

NTM

I like to use brighter colours than is historically accurate. When I first put them on they look horrible but after a wash with thinned down black and drybrushing it comes out Ok IMHO. I use the same colours for 10mm as I do for 15mm and I have noticed the difference on vehicles particularly. I've only painted Brits and Germans in 10mm but I use the same colour for Brit & US vehicles which is GW Catachan Green I mix this with yellow ochre for drybrushing then add white for a final highlight. For infantry I use artist/craft acrylic US colours are;

1941 jacket green ochre (not sure if it's Winsor & Newton or Daler Rowney off the top of my head)
Wool trousers raw umber for a dark look or Anita's flat earth for lighter
Webbing raw sienna (W&N Galeria)
Helmet Catachan Green or Deco Art Avocado

As I say though not used this for 10mm as yet only 15mm

Also what colour are you using to prime I use grey myself as it gives a bright look than black and white can brighten things up even more.

Sorry but no pics I can show you will get round to posting one day  :-[