Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
28 November 2020, 02:27:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The revamped Feudal Japanese have been released!
310786 Posts in 18056 Topics by 2269 Members
Latest Member: BKC Grenadier
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Painting & Modelling (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | |-+  WW2 US colours - HELP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WW2 US colours - HELP  (Read 1176 times)
johnny boy
Cadet

« on: 06 May 2011, 11:14:41 AM »

As a long time German player I am having a bit of difficulty in finding colours for both uniforms and vehicles that I am happy with  Angry. I know it sound silly but some of the dark greens are just too dark on 10mm models and I now own a large number of green paints which are basically redundant  Embarrassed. I had the same problem with the German kit but after much trial and error settled on a set of colours that work  Cheesy.
I will be buying a lot more stuff to finish my armoured infantry and tank company at the Fal;kirk show tomorrow and want to get painting as quickly as I can due to the size of my lead mountain  Wink.

John
NTM
Major

« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2011, 12:54:13 PM »

I like to use brighter colours than is historically accurate. When I first put them on they look horrible but after a wash with thinned down black and drybrushing it comes out Ok IMHO. I use the same colours for 10mm as I do for 15mm and I have noticed the difference on vehicles particularly. I've only painted Brits and Germans in 10mm but I use the same colour for Brit & US vehicles which is GW Catachan Green I mix this with yellow ochre for drybrushing then add white for a final highlight. For infantry I use artist/craft acrylic US colours are;

1941 jacket green ochre (not sure if it's Winsor & Newton or Daler Rowney off the top of my head)
Wool trousers raw umber for a dark look or Anita's flat earth for lighter
Webbing raw sienna (W&N Galeria)
Helmet Catachan Green or Deco Art Avocado

As I say though not used this for 10mm as yet only 15mm

Also what colour are you using to prime I use grey myself as it gives a bright look than black and white can brighten things up even more.

Sorry but no pics I can show you will get round to posting one day  Embarrassed
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: