SYW French light infantry

Started by Rob_H, 30 April 2011, 10:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob_H

It would be good to have some French SYW Chasseurs Fischer, just to complete the range. They fought at most of the French army's battles in the SYW, and would complete the range nicely.

kustenjaeger

Greetings

At least someone uses SYR25 Russian pandours as Fischer chasseurs.  A lot of WAS French light corps seem to have worn mirlitons but some SYW light foot chasseur companies seem to have had tricorns.

Regards

Edward

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

YORSTONS

You can add my vote for these, i would much rather have a purpose built figure than make do with a foreign imposter.

Nicofig

Hertsblue

The French Troupes Légères were many and various. The Chasseurs de Fischer also had a cavalry component, which wore a hussar uniform complete with mirliton. The Voluntaires Royaux wore tricorns, but they also had a grenadier company in bearskin caps. The Voluntaires de Flandre (formed in 1749 partly from the Arquebusiers de Grassin) also wore tricorns and bearskin caps - but their cavalry wore helmets à la Minerve a bit like the later dragoon helmet.

The problem is that many of these units lasted only a few years before being disbanded or merged into other units. For a complete rundown I recommend the Pengel & Hurt booklet France - Troupes Légères 1740-63 sadly out of print but possibly to be found on bring-and-buy stalls.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

Don't yet have French among my SYW troops, but I do have an opponent with a very large French army and he is always envious of my Croats, so I'm sure he'd welcome French light troops.
DP
(I know they were allies, but sometimes France v. Austria actually gives a better wargame than fighting the Prussians - some of whom are probably still alive, they're that bloody invincible.)
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

kustenjaeger

Greetings

If you are doing French vs Austrians then WAS seems like a sound bet :-)

Regards

Edward

Leman

Fair point Edward, and fortunately Might and Reason caters for the WAS as well as SYW.
DP
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!