Rules ?

Started by Smee, 25 March 2010, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smee

What rules do you use for the fanasy and si-fi games ? I'm thinking about goiving them a go at some point but dont know what rule set use. :P

Nosher

For Sci-fi you wont go to far wrong by going the Future War Commander Route ;)

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Leon

We've always recommended 'Hordes of the Things'.  All of our Fantasy Army Packs are based on these rules.  Maybe someone else can ship in who's played them thoroughly?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Fenton

Depending on what type of Sci fi you want  Both Dirtside  (large scale) and Stargrunt 2 ( Squad level) are both excellent and now free as well at

http://www.groundzerogames.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=9&id=29&Itemid=50

I would recommend FWC as well but I havnt played it although BKC is one of my faves

For Fantasy have a look at Basic Impetus and their fantasy add on and now a points system to download as well

http://www.esnips.com/web/dadiepiombosStuff
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

snafu

Def another vote for future war commander. awesome game and u can use any army u want..... thanks to generic lists.  ;D ;D
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!

ElefantEd

Another vote for Hordes of the Things - quick, fun,  infinitely adaptable, surprisingly subtle and CHEAP! Make sure you get the second edition though, it's explained much better, with diagrams to assist in decoding some of the situations.

nikharwood

[unsurprisingly from me - insert statement of interest here] - another vote for FWC  8)

DanJ

Warmaster

The original fantasy set, fun, fast and not very subtle but very nice differences between the various racial armies.

The rules and V2 army lists are (or were) available for free on the GW website.  They have the bonus that they were designed for 10mm figures so will work well with Pendraken models.

Dan

nikharwood

Shedman

Future War Commander has done wonders for my Sci-Fi gaming

I have also used it for the war of 1859 without any problems

Alan

Paint it Pink

SJG Ogre/GEV rules when I want cybertanks.

FASA/CGL Battletech when I want giant stomping robots.

TBAG OHMU War Machine when I want both in the same game.

WhizKids MechWarrior when I want a quick game of giant stompy robots.
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

sixsideddice

Posted by: Leon 
We've always recommended 'Hordes of the Things'.  All of our Fantasy Army Packs are based on these rules.  Maybe someone else can ship in who's played them thoroughly?

Hmmmmm, Ive been thinking of using HOTT for  a while now, I even found my old copy in our recent house moving. But I`m at a loss how to base the figures, as I use them on individual bases in my dungeon role play, and am loathe to have to mount them and lose that ability. Any suggestions? Only thought I could come up with was to make the bases up (flock and stones etc) and leave little spaces for magnets to sit, so I could place the individual miniatures on these without them moving about, and pluck them off again when I need them?

Six   :)

Leon

That's probably your best bet, or a little base sized tray to put the figures in?  Might not be as aesthetically pleasing as the first option though.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mercenariodecain

Can anyone tell how to get the rules for Hordes of the Things. Any other recommendations to play Fantasy games?  :-\ I was thinking about a recreation of Howard's Hiborian campaings... Maybe I could use Pendraken's barbarias as Cimmerians and a combination of 10mm historical refs to represent Aquilonians, Picts, etc. Any ideas?

sixsideddice

Can anyone tell how to get the rules for Hordes of the Things. Any other recommendations to play Fantasy games?   I was thinking about a recreation of Howard's Hiborian campaings... Maybe I could use Pendraken's barbarias as Cimmerians and a combination of 10mm historical refs to represent Aquilonians, Picts, etc. Any ideas?

try:

http://www.spiritgames.co.uk/wgrulessin.php?UniqueNo=696

good luck - Six   :)