1860/70's Dismounted Dragoons/Hussars and firing/skirmishing line! Please read!

Started by Leon, 08 April 2011, 02:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

privateer

This is good news for us. but the maths show it might be better to concentrate either on Infantry or Cavalry, not both to get a good mix.

My vote would go for

Prussian Infantry skirmishing, 2 poses
Prussian Jager skirmishing, 2 poses
French Infantry skirmishing 2 poses
French Chassaur skirmishing 2 poses
French Zouave/Turcos skirmishing 2 poses
Bavarian Infantry skirmishing 2 poses
Wurttemburg Infantry skirmishing 2 poses

That gets the core of the Franco-Prussians done

Next would be the Austrians with same treatment and the other French and Prussian codes as well as the German States not already done.
French Guard voltigeurs
French Volontaires de l'Ouest
French Sailors
French Garde mobile
French Garde nationale

Third could be the Dismounted Cavalry.
Prussian Hussars - 2 poses for troopers, 1 Officer, 1 Bugler and 1 horse holder with 4 horses
Prussian Dragoon - 2 poses for troopers, 1 Officer, 1 Bugler and 1 horse holder with 4 horses

French Hussars - 2 poses for troopers, 1 Officer, 1 Bugler and 1 horse holder with 4 horses
French Chassaur - 2 poses for troopers, 1 Officer, 1 Bugler and 1 horse holder with 4 horses
French Dragoon - 2 poses for troopers, 1 Officer, 1 Bugler and 1 horse holder with 4 horses
French Chasseurs d'Afrique - 2 poses for troopers, 1 Officer, 1 Bugler and 1 horse holder with 4 horses
French Spahis - 2 poses for troopers, 1 Officer, 1 Bugler and 1 horse holder with 4 horses

The list goes on

Anyway my votes goes for the infantry first and then the cavalry, this gives the limited number of figures the best chance of allowing a few types to get a good number of poses.

Regards

David

My two cents worth on the dismounted cavalry - we war "games" - we do what ifs, so if cavalry can dismount and the player wants them to then they sould, whether they did or not is not really an issue. The main issue for Pendraken is can they sell them. If they can then go for it. The more they make that we will buy the better

Hertsblue

Can we add to that list Saxon Line/Jagers for us 1866 bods. May I also mention a glaring omission from the Saxon list - namely, a standard-bearer! We've established on the forum that they carried colours >:(.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Leman

I must admit that privateer has voiced my thoughts, ie. if troops can dismount then let them dismount. I'd certainly use dismounted cavalry and horse atillery as a rearguard or to hold a forward position - after all, can't help it if I have the benefit of hindsight and, as a studious !9th century cavalry officer, take Buford's actions at Gettysburg seriously.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Not sure I'd need many: French only did it once in 1870, and that was Dragoons...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cameronian

Quote from: Hertsblue on 18 April 2011, 07:40:13 PM
Can we add to that list Saxon Line/Jagers for us 1866 bods. May I also mention a glaring omission from the Saxon list - namely, a standard-bearer! We've established on the forum that they carried colours >:(.

Pendraken do Saxon line and Jaegers, they also do standard bearers (command group). Are you in the right forum.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

maciek

I've just chcecked in GTR1866, that Austrian hussars did indeed skirmish on foot at Gitschin.
These rules allow dismounted action for Austrian and Prussian hussars and dragoons only.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm

2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

Quote from: cameronian on 18 April 2011, 08:51:54 PM
Pendraken do Saxon line and Jaegers, they also do standard bearers (command group). Are you in the right forum.

We were discussing a list of skirmishers, to which the three or four poses in the Saxon infantry don't exactly lend themselves. And if there is a Saxon standard bearer he is a fairly new arrival. There were certainly none in the last batch I ordered.

And, yes, I think I know what forum I'm in.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

cameronian

I completed my Saxon army two years ago complete with standard bearers so they've been around since then. The photo's not great but its here, best viewed as original.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pendraken/4395569865/sizes/o/in/set-72157623404033825/

The forum comment was meant to be facetious BTW.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Perhaps the confusion of standard bearers lies in the fact that there are Saxon infantry figures in two ranges, the 1866 Saxon and the 1860s/70s Prussian/German.  The first range certainly has a Command Group pack with standard bearers, SA 6, which have graced my tables for a number of years. The second range has Saxon infantry in a peaked feldmutze, PP24, which do not have command.

Regards

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

maciek

Quote from: mollinary on 20 April 2011, 07:02:06 AM
Perhaps the confusion of standard bearers lies in the fact that there are Saxon infantry figures in two ranges, the 1866 Saxon and the 1860s/70s Prussian/German.  The first range certainly has a Command Group pack with standard bearers, SA 6, which have graced my tables for a number of years. The second range has Saxon infantry in a peaked feldmutze, PP24, which do not have command.
And all this confusion is due to lack of pictures of packs on Pendraken's page.
I noticed, that even new pack, although photos appear on this forum, are not properly depicted on webpage.
Maciek

wargaming in 10mm

Chad

A question on Saxon standard bearers (and any others with cast flags). For those of us who do not have the ability to paint 10mm flags, any suggestions on how we deal with this? I have thought of buying flags, cutting them up and sticking them on, but it seems unnecessarily messy, when a plain flag pole would be a better option.

Thanks

Chad

cameronian

The flags aren't cast chad, poles only, see photo in post above (yes I know, wrong flag apparently but hey ho, unless I'm wearing my specs I can't even see the bloody table!).

Leon

Quote from: maciek on 20 April 2011, 07:41:10 AM
And all this confusion is due to lack of pictures of packs on Pendraken's page.
I noticed, that even new pack, although photos appear on this forum, are not properly depicted on webpage.

The pics for the new releases are usually done by me on a small digital camera, so aren't high enough resolution for the website.  Those pics are done by MaximumJpeg with her fancy DLSR kit.

Quote from: Chad on 20 April 2011, 08:48:55 AM
A question on Saxon standard bearers (and any others with cast flags). For those of us who do not have the ability to paint 10mm flags, any suggestions on how we deal with this? I have thought of buying flags, cutting them up and sticking them on, but it seems unnecessarily messy, when a plain flag pole would be a better option.

All figures we get designed going forward will be bare poles, no cast on flags.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leon

Right then, the email has been sent to the designer, for Fr/Pr/Au skirmishing line in 2 poses each, and also dismounted Austrian Hussars.  We'll have to look at any other requests when we have another sculpting gap.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

maciek

Maciek

wargaming in 10mm