SYW Queries

Started by lentulus, 09 March 2010, 12:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

Am I right in believing that, to field a unit with officers on foot and standard bearers, I must order the "Field Officers" and "Generic Standard Bearers" in addition to the main poses for the unit?

I have lost my willpower roll, my next order will be the start of a Prussian army for Black Powder.

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 09 March 2010, 12:47:01 PM
Am I right in believing that, to field a unit with officers on foot and standard bearers, I must order the "Field Officers" and "Generic Standard Bearers" in addition to the main poses for the unit?

I have lost my willpower roll, my next order will be the start of a Prussian army for Black Powder.

The SYW packs contain command figures, so generally 27 foot, 1 officer, 1 standard, 1 drummer.  Mounted packs are the same with 12 + 3 command.  There are the odd variations here and there but not many.  'Field Officers' and 'Generic Standard Bearers' are just for extras. 

Just a quick note, the Generic Standard Bearers are poles only, whereas the command within the packs have a cast on flag.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

Quote from: Leon on 09 March 2010, 03:01:14 PM

The SYW packs contain command figures, so generally 27 foot, 1 officer, 1 standard, 1 drummer.  Mounted packs are the same with 12 + 3 command.  There are the odd variations here and there but not many.  'Field Officers' and 'Generic Standard Bearers' are just for extras. 

Just a quick note, the Generic Standard Bearers are poles only, whereas the command within the packs have a cast on flag.

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

T13A

Hi

I'm currently painting up a Hanovarian force for the Seven Years War. As Pendraken do not as yet produce any Hanovarian cavalry I am using British figures instead. I have chosen to use 'SYB13 Mounted Dragoons'  (not surprisingly) for the Hanovarian Dragoons and I thought the nearest woild be 'SYB24 Dragoon Guards' for the Hanovarian Cavalry regiments. The problem is that SYB24 comes with kettledrummers (that incedentally look fantastic) but the Hanovarian Cavalry regiments had trumpeters. So my question is do any of the Pendraken British Cavalry packs come with trumpeters (and wearing tricorn hats)?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum and thanks for the help.

Cheers
T13A Out!

Leon

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to cast some off.  Your best bet would be to use the trumpeter from the Austrian Cuirassiers (code SYA13), complete with tricorn.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Zbigniew

Quote from: Fulham Fan on 27 March 2010, 12:25:42 PM
Hi

I'm currently painting up a Hanovarian force for the Seven Years War. As Pendraken do not as yet produce any Hanovarian cavalry I am using British figures instead. I have chosen to use 'SYB13 Mounted Dragoons'  (not surprisingly) for the Hanovarian Dragoons and I thought the nearest woild be 'SYB24 Dragoon Guards' for the Hanovarian Cavalry regiments. The problem is that SYB24 comes with kettledrummers (that incedentally look fantastic) but the Hanovarian Cavalry regiments had trumpeters. So my question is do any of the Pendraken British Cavalry packs come with trumpeters (and wearing tricorn hats)?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum and thanks for the help.

Cheers

Hello, I also do the same army and I used prussian cuirassiers for Hanoverian heavy cavalry. I think they are better for Hanoverian heavy cavalry then British dragoons for two three reasons:
1. cuirass is easy to get hidden under the paint.
2. Musicians are trumpheters
3. most important - hanoverian horses did not have tails cut like the British ones, they were left long.

I hope it helps,
Of course it is a pitty there are no Hanoverian horse figures. They are much needed.

Zbigniew

T13A

Very many thanks for the replies. I would also be grateful for any advice on what figures to use for Hessian Cavalry/Dragoons and Hanovarian Dragoons, also Hessian/Hanovarian artillery.

Cheers
T13A Out!

Zbigniew

Quote from: Fulham Fan on 01 April 2010, 09:48:16 PM
Very many thanks for the replies. I would also be grateful for any advice on what figures to use for Hessian Cavalry/Dragoons and Hanovarian Dragoons, also Hessian/Hanovarian artillery.

Cheers

For Hessian and Hanoverian dragoons I used Prussian dragoons. For Hessian Heavies Prussian Cuirassiers are perfect choice. In case of artillery it is paint job that matters. Guns themselves and crews are almost the same with the difference only in commander figures. In this nice scale you can easily convert one into another with apropriate painting. However if there were original Hanoverian cavalry figures, I would buy them immediately and replace those  I have - I am such a freak at this hobby   :)

T13A

I was wondering what colour paint people use for the coats of Hanovarian artillerymen for the SYW? Sources seem to describe them ranging from 'light blue' to 'grey blue' and the illiustrations that I have seen appear to be nearer what I would call 'mid blue'. 

Many thanks

T13A Out!

Zbigniew

Hello,
I gave mine slightly darker sky-blue. But only for those few in coats - the majority Pendraken gunners are in waistcoats only, which were red.
I hope it helps.
Zbigniew

lentulus

What are they doing, how are they dressed?  Any chance of a picture?

Leon

I'll get some pics up when we get back from Salute!

lentulus

Thanks!  Have a great show - take lots of pictures!

Leon

lentulus

Thanks!  There is some nice command-stand potential there.