The 1st Carlist War

Started by Bertalucci, 25 March 2011, 07:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertalucci

Fraid not - I'm saving myself for 2 all day games running into Xmas :d

Ayetta and then Hernani - the later will end up with just about everthing I have on table  =) :D

Bert

Bertalucci

Nik

Not this time around - I'm saving that for my report of our (Washington Wargames) club Xmas Game - The Battle for Hernani.

In the meanwhile we refought the Battle of Penecerrada yesterday.
This was fought very early (13 November 1833) in the War and so although the Carlists were of high moral their training was abysmal and their numbers were low in comparison to the Cristino regulars.

The battle revolved around the control of Fuerte Penecerrada which overlooks the road north into Carlist territory.
Historically the Cristino's won - and it was no different in our refight.

Rather than leaving a unit to garrison the Fuerte (think Peel Tower) the Carlists chose to make a strong attack on the Cristino left hand brigade - trying to destroy them in detail.

When it came to the crunch the Cristino's rolled a series of 8 & 9's in shooting and 10's in combat (we are using Fire & Fury Regimental to play these games) whereas the Carlists found it difficul to roll even a 5! It was all over quite quickly after the Fuerte had been occupied by the Cristino Cabaleria, and the remaining Carlists routed off the board in short order.

Never-the-less the Carlists gained valuable battle experience and in less than a month the charismatic Zumalecarregui will be appointed as military commander of the Carlists.

nikharwood

Sounds intriguing - this is a conflict I have very limited knowledge of, so good to hear more; looking forward to seeing how things pan out in your Christmas game.

Bertalucci

Cor doesn't time fly.
We did eventually fight this battle.
Sorry no pics my camera broke.

The British forces were arrayed on the heights in some disarray with many units (historically) out of command.

The Carlists were firmly entrenched in front of Hernarni town.

The advance began in the British Centre, the the Royal Marines got going on the far right.
However, they were stopped in their tracks when the Carlist cavalry arrived (non-historically but perfectly possible) on their flank.

After hard fighting the Marines were thwarted and the whole British advance stuttered to an untimely halt.

Then we packed them all away for another day.

Bert

paulr

Good to hear the battle was fought, repair the camera ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I should have mentioned this earlier - F&F do a regimental Mexican American variant. You may find weapons listings etc on the playsheet which are more pertinent to the Carlist war, as the end of one and beginning of the other is only separated by 7 years, and much of the Mexican armament was Napoleonic.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!