'First Look' Republican Roman pics!

Started by Leon, 24 March 2011, 04:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobos

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 November 2012, 01:51:13 AM
I mean that you impressively know the singular of hastati and that the indefinite article before an unstressed h treats it as a vowel. I was and remain reassured that wargaming does not have to destroy linguistic sensitivity, and that some internet posters are able to use language with intelligence.

Well... thanks then. I´m no native english user, that´s why I´d prefer to ask the motif of the comment.

P.S. Any mistake I could made, please, let me know it.

FierceKitty

A better idea - why don't you give a few hints to first-language speakers who seem less at home in English than you do? What is your home language, anyway?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Malbork

QuoteWhat is your home language, anyway?

I'm guessing Greek...... :-\

Techno

Spanish or Greek for Phobos ?

I feel I'm as guilty as anyone in ignoring the fact that we have a number of members on the forum who don't have English as their 'first language'.
I like to think that I'm reasonably literate....Nowhere near FK...and I DO think that I'll use colloquialisms (slang) because I believe everybody else will understand (without too much difficulty) what I'm waffling on about.

I think that our friends 'overseas' do particularly well to understand what a lot of us write down.

Yes....If any of our non-English speaking friends don't understand what we write down....DO ask...
I, for one, admire the fact that you'll post in a language that's not your native tongue. (Language)

Good for you guys !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Phobos

07 November 2012, 02:36:27 PM #154 Last Edit: 07 November 2012, 02:44:59 PM by Phobos
Really, greek? Why, if I could ask? not a matter of offence, of course, just curious. Maybe because the nickname?

And the winner is Techno! My home language is spanish, and I´m from Spain, but I got friends in Poland, Sweden, Russia, Latvia, Portugal and the EEUU, and we always try to use a "correct" english language when we talk.
In fact, it´s the only foreign language that I speak and write correctly (I hope), apart from a little mandrinn chinese.

Malbork

QuoteReally, greek? Why, if I could ask?

Sure, I was taken in by the nickname, as you guessed. Phobos is the name of a Greek songwriter (as well as Apollo of course  :D) and I put 2 and 2 together and came up with cinco :-[

Techno

Hooray for me !!!.

I have to say Phobos, your English is a million times better than my Spanish !....Which, in truth, is just about non existent !
Your written use of English is EXCELLENT!!

I only wish I could speak and write another language....You put me (at least) to shame !!
I could just about make myself understood in spoken French...

Cheers - Phil.

Leon

I've always wanted to learn another language properly, but it was something which didn't come naturally to me in school.  I was fine with the written part, but speaking it was a whole different ball game.  Maybe one day I'll give it another go.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

barbarian

Learning something useful in school is hard nowadays.

I studied German for 7 years, was there 2 times, was decent at it, but now...I can only understand some words and find it really hard to speak.

I learnt English in three waves (after High school) : First, I wanted to understand lyrics of System of a Down...then few years later, downloadi...buying lots or american series without subtitles (due to the hurry to get the new episode). At last, I spend like 6 months with a friend of mine who grew in London, and all of his friends where everything but French. (Mainly commonwealth Erasmus students).

For the two others languages (Portuguese and Italian), I just learnt them in situ.

But Latin languages are easy once you know one.

I can even understand a little of Spanish...

Leon, come to visit me. ;)

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: barbarian on 07 November 2012, 04:57:09 PM
Leon, come to visit me. ;)

Maybe, I would like to visit Rome some time soon.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Phobos

Quote from: Techno on 07 November 2012, 03:14:22 PM
Hooray for me !!!.

I have to say Phobos, your English is a million times better than my Spanish !....Which, in truth, is just about non existent !
Your written use of English is EXCELLENT!!

I only wish I could speak and write another language....You put me (at least) to shame !!
I could just about make myself understood in spoken French...

Cheers - Phil.

And I only wish to learn to sculpt so good as you! :D
I tried german and french too, but left them time ago, actually, I can´t understand NOTHING in that two languages, but for a few words. In german all sounds like shouting orders, sorry for the german speakers here.

In fact, I didn´t learn ANYTHING in school or HS, shameful level in my days, but I keep hearing to english music, reading OSprey books, and watching films in original version. Now I´m taking a look to learn a little swedish, before to searching for a job there.

FierceKitty

Wnen I was living in Brno, I had a couple of Austrian gamers pop over for a game. I warned them that I could understand the plans they were discussing in German, and they switched to Vienna dialect. Mein Gott! I couldn't even recognise that it was German at all.
  The interesting thing was their excellent and entirely self-taught English, which they claimed to have learned almost exclusively in the wargaming context.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Phobos

I´ve seen that lot of times, people that learn english due to their hobbys come in that language. Well, I´ve ever seen this with japanese things.

Hertsblue

I'm using part of my retirement to try to get my French up to the point at which I can hold an intelligible conversation. There's a world of difference between listening to an actor enunciating a language with care on a CD and a native speaker talking at full speed. I can pick up about one word in five currently. ~X( 
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net