'First Look' Republican Roman pics!

Started by Leon, 24 March 2011, 04:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Hopefully...(I'm having trouble with photobucket at the moment !)...The finished Republican cavalry.
And I've taken tad more off the feet since I took this photo....Very strange..They look fine 'in the flesh' but still too big in the photo  =)

And some of the Carthaginians that are all but finished (Though I'm not sure if the Iberian swordsman is really surplus to requirements.)

The rest of the Carthaginians for your perusal, early next week....(HAH !...and I thought I'd have to whole lot finished by Wednesday at the latest...Hey Ho...I blame the new puppy !)

Cheers - Phil.

Leon

14 October 2011, 06:43:03 PM #136 Last Edit: 18 October 2011, 01:46:35 AM by Leon
Excellent, very nice!

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Bertie

They are looking really good.

(Though I'm not sure if the Iberian swordsman is really surplus to requirements.)

As far as I am concerned the more Spanish you do the better, perhaps a large Scutum shield with a spear instead of the sword?

Bertie

Urbinoprince

Quote from: Gandalf on 24 March 2011, 08:10:17 AM
Excellent sculpts.  They would be ideal for late Republican, Caesar in Gaul etc.

Static perhaps. However most legions need men wielding swords so I like them. However, there is a distinct difference between early and late Roman republican legions, which lies in the shape and size of the shield. This difference would show up even in 10mm men. I cannot see the shield clearly enough to say which period, early or late, they are appropriate enough for. As for dynamic poses, if the legionnaire was carrying a pilum vertically overhead, it would be great even if the the man was in a walking pose.

Techno

Hi Urbinoprince.

My guess is that you're referring to the very first two models in this thread ?
Those were just test pieces for Leon to have a look at.

From memory...I based these two guys on later period republican guard....I don't think these two chaps are ever destined to see the light of day.....Certainly not without some tweaking !! ;)....They're just sitting in a tiny drawer on my desk for now.

Cheers - Phil

toolsey

Techno ,

I received new Rupublican Romans today and I have to say I was totally wrong about your shields , they look spot on and they must be the best Romans of that period I have ever seen in 10mm or 15mm , I bet they will look fantastatic painted up en masse.

Great figures.

Toolsey

Techno

Thanks for the kind words Toolsey.
Really pleased you like them !.....I'm looking forward to seeing some painted up.
Cheers - Phil

Phobos

Could I suggest an idea? Different helmet decoration, lefting the plumes for hastati, a horse mane for princeps and crest for triarii reflecting their hoplitic past.

Phobos

Any chance of getting an Hastatus with thrusting sword and Hastatus and Princeps hurling Pilum?

FierceKitty

Quote from: Phobos on 04 November 2012, 02:38:28 PM
Any chance of getting an Hastatus with thrusting sword and Hastatus and Princeps hurling Pilum?
Wow! A literate poster!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leon

Quote from: Phobos on 04 November 2012, 02:38:28 PM

No plans at the moment, but I'll pop them on the list.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Phobos on 05 November 2012, 04:30:38 PM
I beg you pardon?
I mean that you impressively know the singular of hastati and that the indefinite article before an unstressed h treats it as a vowel. I was and remain reassured that wargaming does not have to destroy linguistic sensitivity, and that some internet posters are able to use language with intelligence.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner