Just for mollinary - Wood stacks!

Started by Leon, 12 June 2014, 03:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Quote from: mollinary on 12 June 2014, 05:41:49 PM
Depends.  The above quote refers to the Canadian or US cord, which is the one I first came to. However, if you Goggle "klafter" and look at images, in about the third row down is a rather hippyish looking chap holding a stick with both hands and his arms outstretched. It is a link to a little German  "what is" sort of video on weights and measures. Quite interesting.  Looking at klafter on wiki will give you all sorts of old German and Austrian measures for it. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Mollinary

Just checked again. The image has moved to row five, right hand end. 

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

Klafter seems to mean different things in different contexts. A Birago Bridge (Austrian, field portable) train included four bridge equipages, each with 42 Klafter = 79.6 length of bridge. We researched Birage bridges on line and found extensive material on Birago and his miliitary bridging system with many photographs and line drawings of wagons with pontoons and timbers, but we didn't find the term "Klafter" attached to any of these. However, Ted the translator checked in his old (1930's) Der Neue Brockhaus which says that Klafter can also be an archaic term for a distance equal to a man with both arms outstretched. In this context we are surmising that a Klafter refers to either a pier structure which has beams attached reaching out in both directions like a man with arms outstretched or perhaps a single pontoon section of bridge with its section of decking. The work continues, I wonder if Leon is up for a Birago set  ;)
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Quote from: cameronian on 12 June 2014, 06:39:03 PM
Klafter seems to mean different things in different contexts. A Birago Bridge (Austrian, field portable) train included four bridge equipages, each with 42 Klafter = 79.6 length of bridge. We researched Birage bridges on line and found extensive material on Birago and his miliitary bridging system with many photographs and line drawings of wagons with pontoons and timbers, but we didn't find the term "Klafter" attached to any of these. However, Ted the translator checked in his old (1930's) Der Neue Brockhaus which says that Klafter can also be an archaic term for a distance equal to a man with both arms outstretched. In this context we are surmising that a Klafter refers to either a pier structure which has beams attached reaching out in both directions like a man with arms outstretched or perhaps a single pontoon section of bridge with its section of decking. The work continues, I wonder if Leon is up for a Birago set  ;)

Interesting stuff, and undoubtedly true as to the different meanings of Klafter. I think the basis of all this is the outstretched arms measurement described in the video. I pointed out. This I essentially a fathom, or six feet, depending on people's definition of a foot. The klafter as a cubic measurement appears to be based on this prinicple.  Have a look at the video, it is worth it, if only for showing how few Germans understand what the word means!

Mollinary

Raider4

Quote from: Leon on 12 June 2014, 01:34:43 PM
And cocktail sticks would be 3/4mm or so, so nearly 2ft thick logs at 10mm scale, quite big for a domestic wood pile!

Blimey! 3/4mm thick cocktail sticks? They obviously like them thick up north. My southern-softy ones are only 2mm . . . .

;)

Cheers, Martyn

mollinary

Quote from: Raider4 on 12 June 2014, 07:38:26 PM
Blimey! 3/4mm thick cocktail sticks? They obviously like them thick up north. My southern-softy ones are only 2mm . . . .

;)

Cheers, Martyn

My southern softy ones are a tad under 2.5mm from Sainsbury's! But the point is a good one. Four logs high is shoulder height, and you can see from the  illustration that Leon posted with the first post what we are trying to get at. But for me, the big point  is that this is a very fiddly, time consuming activity, when I have many other time consuming, fiddly activities  to compete with it. I have 21 home made ones, but for my Swiepwald scenario I will probably need in excess of 100.  This is just going to save me so much time.   What other firm would do this?   :o :D

Mollinary

Leon

Quote from: Raider4 on 12 June 2014, 07:38:26 PM

;)

Cheers, Martyn

We use barbecue skewers oop north, means you can fit more little sausages on it...

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Womble67

These will be great and ill definitely be getting some once there released

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Hertsblue

This is a stack of wood we're talking about here, chaps. Are we supposing that the woodsman got out his micrometer to check tolerances to the nearest micron? Even the Germans aren't that anal.

And are we to see entire breastworks composed of woodstacks in the near future. Ah, you can scoff....   
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

cameronian

They will adorn a forest clearing (or two) in a forest in Bohemia, far, far away.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

cameronian

Quote from: mad lemmey on 13 June 2014, 11:56:29 AM
Is that for real, or to scale? ;)

It will be to scale and if I know Andrew it will be to the millimetre. This is going to be something worth seeing.