Russian armour please help...

Started by snafu, 23 March 2011, 05:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

can anybody help a man becoming very frustrated. I just cant seem to get the green to look riight om my 10mm armour. whatever I try looks too dark, Ive tried the russian colors recommended by BF but Im just not happy. What do you guys use, In 10mm youre colors need to be brighter I understand that but how light do I go. Ive already painted two diff colors on my new armour and I darent get it wrong again otherwise Im going to have strip them back...

HELP PLEASE  ~X( ~X(
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!

Hertsblue

Have you tried drybrushing a lighter shade across the detail? That usually lightens the whole model. Most of the sources I have show the colour as a dark forest-green. You could also overcoat the base colour with a light coat of white as the Soviets quite often painted on whitewash in winter.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

snafu

the tanks are for summer unforunatly so cant use that white wash. Ive tried the drybrush but the problem seems to be the initial color, I think I need a lighter green to begin with.

Kiwidave

I've used Vallejo Russian Green, withj a green ink, then drybrush with a suitable dust colour.

http://kiwidave.pbworks.com/w/page/7780149/BKC-Russian-Armour

Might be to dark for your liking?

snafu

cheers dave, your right, thats what ive been using and yes too dark for me...  :'(

Kiwidave

Maybe lighten up the RG with Bleached Bone (or similar)? Then highlight/drybrush?

Gandalf

Have you seen the rivets on that?

nikharwood

Yep - pics would help  :)

I'd try, as others have suggested, lightening the RG by a couple of tones - paint that, then drybrush, then wash & then re-highlight...and then make 'em nice & dusty with your weathering  8)

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: snafu on 23 March 2011, 05:05:06 PM
What do you guys use

For my Soviet armour I use a drab olive acrylic which I often mix with lighter or darker browns. Soviet tanks weren't all the same colour, early war tanks were often brown, bright green or anything in between and T-34's could be very dark green, bleu-ish or brown till the end of the war. So don't strip your armour because of colour differences - neither did the Soviets in 1940-45  :)

You can make your own favourite shade of olive green by mixing it yourself. Add black paint to pure yellow paint to get olive, then add a touch of red to make it drab, and finally add white paint as needed in order to brighten it. Of course if you believe that all wargaming bliss comes out of bottles and cans, you'd better forget this.

Oh, and as mentioned: highlighting in a lighter shade of the base colour is the best way to make the whole thing look brighter as well as pick out details.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

nikharwood

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 24 March 2011, 09:59:32 AM
Of course if you believe that all wargaming bliss comes out of bottles and cans, you'd better forget this.

Aart, mate - that is a great quote  :D 8)

NTM

What colour do you use to prime the models?
I have found that using white rather than black can brighten the finished item up.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But black uc fills in all the hatch joints etc.

Ian S
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hertsblue

You can do the same job with an ink wash.
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: NTM on 24 March 2011, 11:34:42 AM
I have found that using white rather than black can brighten the finished item up.
Quote from: ianrs54 on 24 March 2011, 12:15:16 PM
But black uc fills in all the hatch joints etc.
Quote from: Hertsblue on 24 March 2011, 06:06:48 PM
You can do the same job with an ink wash.

Yes, yes and yes. But don't most most inks cover all your model's surfaces more or less equally? I never work with ink so I'm asking. And doesn't ink leave a glossy effect on the model as well?

I paint all my stuff with acrylics (can't stand the smell of oils, that's just me) and I always dry-brush pretty thoroughly as a finish, even on the flat surfaces because dry-brushing with acrylic gives that special matt effect of weathered steel and iron.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Kiwidave

The inks can leave a satin-like finish, but I always give my figs a spray gloss varnish, followed by a matt one, so the effect of the ink is taken care of.