Boxer Rebellion

Started by mortarion74, 21 March 2011, 10:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YORSTONS

Boxers get my vote, with associated central powers. Opens up lots of possbilities for further colonial adventures like the French in Cochin China.
How about figures for the taiping rebellion too.

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Quote from: ianrs54 on 05 April 2011, 11:10:34 AM
Isnt it only the Chinese that are missing ?

ianS

Yes it's mainly the Chinese, most of the other armies could be press-ganged from other ranges, the only others I can think of would be the Colonial British Marines in side cap, Americans in campaign hat and gaiters (also useful for the Spanish-American war, maybe throw a few montana hats in there as well for WW1  :D ) and armed civilians.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I wuz wrong - you need the Armoured Trains, see the Osprey NVG on the subject.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Suggestion and votes all added.  Good amount of interest in this one.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GrumpyOldMan

Hi Ian

Quote from: ianrs54 on 06 April 2011, 09:06:31 AM
I wuz wrong - you need the Armoured Trains, see the Osprey NVG on the subject.

IanS

Would the Boer War Armoured Train fit the bill? Pictures here:- http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=645.0 Unfortunately I don't have the Osprey to check.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

No - sorry, may well be some like that, but these were white Russain stuff which "migrated" over the border, formally designed artillery cars etc. The Boer War one was a lash up, and looks it.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

mortarion74

the armoured trains were not really armoured, just wood or cotton planking, the boar war trains although DIY were much more purpose built, the russian trains came down into manturia and stayed for the duration, later to see the russio-japanese war. 

most of pendraken ranges can fill the gaps for boxer rebellion, italians in sun hat would be good though as they could also be used in the turkish\italian war 1911.  the main thing lacking is the chinese, no one does them in 10mm and they would be very usefull from the boxer rebellion, 1st sino-japanese war even up to WWI. 

The chinese in the early part of WWI wore chinese clothing and were not given uniforms until china offically entered WWI.  Chinese troops were used from early in the war to dig trenches, in fact most of the entente trenches were built by the chinese, and some 400,000 chinese 'diggers' died during the war.  More information can be found on this on the chinese news website for china today who did a great documentary series on the subject.  There are also some good pictures of them in 'history of the great war' published in 1919 by the Thimes newspaper, now sadly out of print but my late father luckily saved the whole lot from my grandparents when the house was cleared.  Grandfather was a big collector on stuff to do with the war as my great grandfather was well traveled during the war, starting the war in the army in france 1914 and surviving the russian civil war too.

the last bit may be a bit off topic but it just shows how well used chinese could be if you really feel like having fun with them.
Always burn your bridges behind you, you never know who is going to try to follow.

Holmesburg

The third picture mortarion74 posted are actually troops from of the EVA - Ever Victorious Army - which was one european sponsored and trained formations raised to protect the treaty ports during the Tai'Ping Rebellion that raged across the cultivated areas of China from 1850 to 1864.

I have visited several manufacturers websites and have found only one range (15 mm) dedicated to this conflict. This surprises me since the weaponry used ranged from bows, swords and spears to  percusssion cap rifles, flintlocks, smooth bore muskets, matchlocks and Jingall guns. Along with artillery that dated back to the time of probably Columbus.

Another point is considering the total in human loss ,20 miilion is an agreed upon estimate and yet their is no interest in this conflict.

Big battles, long seiges, trenched warfare, the rise of the Warlords in China and the weaking of the central government which allowed european expansion/exploitation to grow which was a primer for the Boxer Rebellion. And the era of the creation of the culinary delight of General Tso's chicken. No joke, he was there...

big_paul182

16 April 2011, 12:43:37 PM #23 Last Edit: 16 April 2011, 12:52:40 PM by big_paul182
As long as you do some"Kansu Braves" and Imperial troop in western uniforms for me :-[

Sean Holden

I would just like to add my voice to those who think Boxer rebellion troops would be a good next step for Pendraken. My 1898 Sudan British, with supplements can already take on the Boers in 1899 and the Germans in East Africa in 1915 and the Turks too and they're itching to have a go at the pesky Boxers. And there's great appeal in putting together what must be a unique international force to join them as well as building the exotic Chinese elements. 

d_Guy

Another interesting period after the mutiny. It is a little know fact, found only in an obscure footnote or two, that the Aztec Empire had a small trade mission in Tianjin.

OK, I made the bit about the Aztecs up
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fsn

20 September 2017, 07:54:03 AM #26 Last Edit: 20 September 2017, 08:05:43 AM by fsn
Could those exotic Chinese elements be used as far as say the 1920s?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Welcome to the madness err forum Sean....hope you enjoy it.

Nice piece of thread necromancy reviving a thread from 2011 for your first post  :)

Cheers
Peter

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Leman

Quote from: Holmesburg on 16 April 2011, 03:01:57 AM
The third picture mortarion74 posted are actually troops from of the EVA - Ever Victorious Army - which was one european sponsored and trained formations raised to protect the treaty ports during the Tai'Ping Rebellion that raged across the cultivated areas of China from 1850 to 1864.

I have visited several manufacturers websites and have found only one range (15 mm) dedicated to this conflict. This surprises me since the weaponry used ranged from bows, swords and spears to  percusssion cap rifles, flintlocks, smooth bore muskets, matchlocks and Jingall guns. Along with artillery that dated back to the time of probably Columbus.

Another point is considering the total in human loss ,20 miilion is an agreed upon estimate and yet their is no interest in this conflict.

Big battles, long seiges, trenched warfare, the rise of the Warlords in China and the weaking of the central government which allowed european expansion/exploitation to grow which was a primer for the Boxer Rebellion. And the era of the creation of the culinary delight of General Tso's chicken. No joke, he was there...

Pretty certain Foundry did a 28mm range, which might prove useful for rulesets such as The Men Who Would Be Kings and C19th Scum Of The Earth.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sean Holden

The Boxers and their enemies would be an ideal addition especially for use with Principles of War rules. If you can take a lead on the Risorgimentothe Boxers can't be topo daring achoice.