Game of Thrones

Started by Leon, 07 March 2011, 01:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kassad

I watched yesterday, with italian sub-titles. I like it!
2011 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Squirrel

It was a bit confusing with so much going on, but hopefully all will become clear  ...........

Overall I liked the feel of it though, which surprised me to be honest. I shall certainly continue to watch.

Cheers,

Kev

johnny boy

I doubt that it will get any clearer. The books are interesting but jump about quite a lot. That makes filming a bit of a problem. The books make you want to read on and find out what happens...I wont say and spoil it for anyone. I worry that this will turn into a car crash of a series, even though the second series has been agreed and that the whole thing will fall on the inability of the producers to compress the story enough to keep casual watchers entertained and still get the story over. If you are confused now wait till a little bit later where characters seem to come out of the woodwork and their motives are not immediately clear.

Leman

Well, well, well ....... wargamers with the attention span of a gnat and an inability to assess characters, nuances and plot. Seemed a bit of a walk in the park for me. Thought the language was great, but then I've never signed up to kill people for real and hopefully I'm too bloody (oops) old to be drafted now. And I thought I must try the books now. Incidentally, I think Sean Bean is great.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

Tonight's episode seemed to fill in some of the blanks between the three different locations we're flicking between, which was good.  Is anyone else having trouble understanding what they're saying at times though?  (No Yorkshire accent jokes please!)  I'm not sure if it's just my TV.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Luddite

The wife's still watching which means i was sort of (while painting some bowmen).

All i can say is that i have absolutely no idea what's going on, who rhe main characters are or what the story actually is.

Some bloke who i think is some sort of king said (and i paraphrase) 'a war's coming, i don't know with who or why, but it's coming'.

For me that summed up what i've seen so far.

Oh and the gratuitous nobbing scenes are a bit much aren't they?

In general, i agree that American speech in these series is getting harder to understand.  Whole episodes of some things my wife watches (ER springs to mind) goes by without me having a clue what anyone is actually saying.

There are afew thing's i'd say to the producers of these things, especially the HBO productions...

1.  Get the actors to speak a bit clearer.

2.  Turn the bloody lights on.  TV is a medium of light.  Hospitals do not have mood lighting.  Get the lights turned up so we can see what's happening.  The first 5 episodes of Pacific were pretty much filmed in pitch darkness with the only light sources being muzzle flashes.

3.  Tell a story.  Figure out what story you're trying to tell, and GET ON WITH IT.

4.  22 Episodes in series 1 is insane. 

Frankly i find it astonishing that cobblers like The Tudors gets made while quality like Firefly gets cancelled.   >:(

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Maenoferren

Was out in the black last night, so will try and watch it tonight
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Jim Ando

liked the bath scene then wandered off  and did something wargames related. I usually have a problem with all fantasy nonsense and this is no different.

Jim

johnny boy

Luddite, you might have hit the nail on the head for me.  :-bd
I am a fan of the books and they do tell the story, however he does take his time to build up the plot line. As I said previously this makes filming a problem, you know, too many words for the MTV generation to take in and retain and not enough gratuitous violence to keep their attention.  ;)
The Pacific was a similar series where, due to the multiple story lines, telling the story becomes difficult and because if this I felt almost no connection with any of the characters. The series showed well the horrors and hell of the pacific fighting and the viewer, I hope, understood how real war is not like the movies. Tht said, I am not a big fan of the series and think they might have been better following one of the main characters more closely over a smaller episode run.
A game of thrones is in danger of becoming the fantasy version of the pacific as it has all of the problems the pacific had due to the scope of the book. They have only shown three of the locations by the end of episode 2 and touched on a few of the characters who will have some direct input to the story. There are many, many more to be unveilled and as a fan of the books, each adds to the colour and depth of the tale.

Glad to see it made, but am worried it will be left incomplete at the end and that no other TV network will be able to pick it up to finish the story. Only if the writer ever finishes the last book  :D

Leon

Quote from: johnny boy on 27 April 2011, 12:41:56 PM
The Pacific was a similar series where, due to the multiple story lines, telling the story becomes difficult and because if this I felt almost no connection with any of the characters. The series showed well the horrors and hell of the pacific fighting and the viewer, I hope, understood how real war is not like the movies. Tht said, I am not a big fan of the series and think they might have been better following one of the main characters more closely over a smaller episode run.

I was like that with the Pacific, it took me about 4 episodes to get into it.  The main problem I found with that (and I can't see a way of fixing it!) is that during the combat scenes, you have no idea who is who, who's been shot, who's alive, etc.  So at the end of each battle sequence, I found myself doing a 'virtual' headcount of which characters had survived!

:D
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

johnny boy

Leon, your right.
Pacifics problem was unless you already knew the history quite well and knew of the main characters you never really connected with what was going on. A lot of 'is it as good as Band of Brothers' went on, but they are dogs of a different breed. Band of Brothers followed a very small group of characters allowing you to 'bond' with the characters. This was a feat that The Pacific never managed. The confusing night fighting scenes already mentioned, even when they culminate in the winning of the medal of honour, left you breathless but no further forward to knowing the characters involved.
As I said, I hope Game of Thrones manages to pull all the pieces together, but I am not sure it will. That being the case I can see the whole thing being dropped as viewing figures slump.

Squirrel

And so it's ended .............. and just as it was all kicking off and getting interesting! At least they bumped off Sean Bean :D

Wonder how long we'll have to wait for the next series?

Cheers,

Kev

Leon

It grew on me as it went on, and despite still not having a clue how all the characters were related to each other, I really enjoyed it.  I'm considering giving the books a go now, I'm interested to see if the first book ends the same way, with so many loose ends left untied.

I'll have to go and check on the second series, cos I don't want to wait too long now!

Squirrel

Quote from: Leon on 21 June 2011, 07:17:29 PM
despite still not having a clue how all the characters were related to each other,

That's the easy bit ....... they are all related to each other ......... or having relations at least :P Aren't they?

Cheers,

Kev

Leon

Quote from: Squirrel on 21 June 2011, 09:14:15 PM
That's the easy bit ....... they are all related to each other ......... or having relations at least :P Aren't they?

I got that the Queen was nobbing her brother, everyone seemed to have a b*stard son somewhere, and some old blind dude was some kind of heir to the throne?  And the blond girl in the desert is somehow tied to the rest of the story, but I assume that will become clearer in the second series?