Fantasy: Chaos Warriors

Started by nikharwood, 04 March 2011, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacksmith

Quote from: Luddite on 06 March 2013, 11:34:26 PM
Great sculpts but WAY too small.

I'd wouldn't buy them.

Shame really they looked really promising.   :(
Yeah, after so much waiting and expectation. A pity.

barbarian

I'm sorry if I've failed you.
Some size comp where I tried to put the heels on the same line.
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dunnadd

07 March 2013, 01:35:56 AM #302 Last Edit: 07 March 2013, 01:41:56 AM by Dunnadd
I don't think they're that small - a lot of Pendraken's 10mm fantasy figures are closer to 15mm than 10mm. I'd definitely buy some. They might be even better if they were a bit bigger but the quality is great and the size is within an acceptable range.

blacksmith

I think the figures are beautiful but too small, that's all.
For me a Chaos knight must tower one head or more over mere mortals and be twice as thick. I cannot field a unit of chaos knights smaller than goblins, sorry but I'm not interested any more; and it's a pity I said, because I loved those miniis and I badly wanted, but not in that size.
Best of luck.

Matt J

just wondering how they would compare to GW models as people would be buyng these for Warmaster mostly? Are you looking at revamping the fantasy range anyway?

another possibilty is something we can do in the jewellery trade to add weight, not sure if it would work in this case though. Make your initial master moulds then with the metal castings you have, apply layer after layer of plating. This should bulk the models out without too much loss of detail.

or Barbarian to resculpt
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Fenton

I think they would look good for an evil human army but not chaos
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Heck, I'd buy them, they're humans who worship the chaos lords, who says you have to bulk up once you sign up with the dark powers?

Always hated the way GW did that...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sandinista

07 March 2013, 05:31:22 PM #307 Last Edit: 07 March 2013, 05:34:47 PM by Sandinista
Quote from: mad lemmey on 07 March 2013, 01:03:58 PM
Heck, I'd buy them, they're humans who worship the chaos lords, who says you have to bulk up once you sign up with the dark powers?

I agree, my plan is to have a mixture of humanoids and mishapen beasts of chaos. So these would fit the bill nicely  :)

My interpretation of Chaos armies from Moorcock's books is light years away from the GW style

Duke Speedy of Leighton

How do they compare size wise to the beastmen/haedeous men?  :-\
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Fenton

Quote from: Sandinista on 07 March 2013, 05:31:22 PM

My interpretation of Chaos armies from Moorcock's books is light years away from the GW style

There is Chaos troops that arent GW...Surely not, I wonder when GW lawyers will have a go at the Moorcock estate?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Sandinista

Quote from: mad lemmey on 07 March 2013, 05:39:35 PM
How do they compare size wise to the beastmen/haedeous men?  :-\

Smaller I hope or I won't be buying the beastmen/haedeous men

OldenBUA

Quote from: barbarian on 06 March 2013, 11:22:49 PM
Various things to consider :
-The integrated bases are much thinner on my models. (The orc would be the average same heigh as my warriors).
-The range is consistent.
-They are taller than humans of a well known brand.

The only historical minis I own from Pendraken are Late Romans, and the Warriors are a bit taller (but thinner) than this range.

Yes, but as has been said several times before, the Fantasy ranges are usually taller than the Pendraken historicals. Getting a few samples from Leon might have helped here, the first time this was mentioned? I'm sure he would have helped with that right away.

I still think these are superb sculpts, they just do not generally match with Pendraken's fantasy ranges. But part of that is due to the thinner base, as you point out. Also, I believe that there are some sculpts (harpies? giant?) where the size difference won't matter much. So all together I have mixed feelings about these right now.  :-\
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Edmund2011

Right, bases are thinner.

Being these the masters, I am wondering if when producing the moulds, moulds and final figures to be sold will be slightly bigger than the masters, is that right?

I am afraid that is not going to enlarge the figures very much  ;) , just wondering if that is noticeable puting together a master and a final figure-

Quote from: barbarian on 07 March 2013, 12:37:52 AM
I'm sorry if I've failed you.

I don't feel you have failed anybody. They are your own figures, made initially for your personal use, and the sculping is first class, you should be really proud of them!!  :-bd

IMO if they are 10mm scale I think they could be produced by Pendraken, even being smaller than other Fantasy Figures of Pendraken.

Techno

Quote from: Edmund2011 on 07 March 2013, 09:01:45 PM
Being these the masters, I am wondering if when producing the moulds, moulds and final figures to be sold will be slightly bigger than the masters, is that right?

Tends to be the other way round Edmond.
The final production figure will normally be a tiny bit smaller/thinner (but only front to back.....NOT head to toe).
At this scale the 'reduction' is pretty minute though.

Cheers - Phil.

Edmund2011

Thanks Phil, didn't know that!