Fantasy: Chaos Warriors

Started by nikharwood, 04 March 2011, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

That's 10mm!  :o I've seen less detailed 28mms...  :D
Not a fan of the GW 'chaos' concept, but Leon, you need these models in your range!  ;)  They are going to sell like hot-cakes! :d
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Luddite

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Dunnadd

love all of these - really hoping to see them come out as a Pendraken range

QuotePersonally, as a rather chaotic chap myself, i've always marvelled at how Chaos armies:
a. manage to formulate a battle plan
b. manage to get it together to make effective arms and armour all covered in skulls ans spikes
c. manage to get all the chaps in the right place, at the right time, formed in nice neat regiments, all pointing in the right direction
d. manage to implement said battle plan in order to win battles

Grin

That always seemd rather too well ordered to me!

yes - there's a definite order within chaos paradox there.

In GW's Warhammer world it seems to be meant to be the will of demons and demon princes who are the patrons of the leaders of the armies who keep them in line through a mixture of fear and promises of greater power, with the power they give to chaos champions letting them keep the mass of the army in line, but i don't think they should be capable of forming ordered lines and holding back or carrying out flanking actions or redeployments once the enemy is in sight

The four main chaos gods and the paired enmities between some of them add interest, but also make chaos armies seem a bit too ordered and predictable

Moorcock's version of chaos was much more disordered with the lords of chaos' armies attacking in complete disorder, but supported by massive magical power and chaos' devolving everyone and everything they met into mutants or swirling primordial matter

Me and my brothers use our own rules and army lists and i'm planning on making chaos armies very difficult to control - what they have in strength, high morale and power will be balanced out by them being very hard to hold back from just attacking the nearest enemies immediately at both the strategic and tactical level

Luddite

Quote from: Dunnadd on 19 September 2012, 02:13:28 AM

Me and my brothers use our own rules and army lists and i'm planning on making chaos armies very difficult to control - what they have in strength, high morale and power will be balanced out by them being very hard to hold back from just attacking the nearest enemies immediately at both the strategic and tactical level

Aye, interestingly the old DBM rules would model this perfectly.

Commanders - Irregular and Allied

Chaos Warrios
Blades (fast, superior)
(makes them impetuous and given to advancing without orders in a rabble, unless controlled and held back)

Chaos Marauders
Warband (fast, ordinary)
(makes them impetuous and given to advancing without orders in a rabble, unless controlled and held back)

Mix in the fantasy troop types from Hordes of the Things and you have a great set of rules for a not-WHFB game.

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

barbarian

27 September 2012, 04:41:14 PM #244 Last Edit: 27 September 2012, 05:02:58 PM by barbarian
I wanted to make a Chaotic hound, but made a Wolf with a big head...
2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Still an extremely cool figure!   8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Kassad

Really impressive. I hope to grab the chaos warriors and ther "pet" soon. Great sculpting.
2011 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Great animation in the wolf 'B'...Spot on !
Cheers - Phil.

nikharwood

Nice...in a snarly, rip-your-throat-out-soon-as-look-at-you kind of way  :d 8)

Luddite

There's a real 'Amreican Werewolf in London' vibe about that little pooch.

Vulpine

You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

barbarian

2015 Painting Competition - Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

nikharwood

Vulpine

Quote from: nikharwood on 30 September 2012, 11:44:25 PM
You're such a tease  ;) ;D

Your right, page 17 and it feels like the blouses ain't even off yet!
You're just a pathetic
bunch of tin soldiers,
skulking around the
galaxy in an ancient
spaceship!

Dunnadd

Not that keen on the hound (though doubtless better than anything i could model) but i definitely like the rest