Fantasy: Chaos Warriors

Started by nikharwood, 04 March 2011, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capthugeca

I use these for my 15mm HOTT Chaos Warriors:-

They are too big for 10mm (standing about 17mm) but are, I think, sufficiently un/like GW's to be usable.

I like Moorcock's idea of Chaos but don't look upon Melniboneans as Chaotic - more utterly amoral and so happy to call upon Chaos or Law and I'm happy to use Dark Elves for that.
To me a Moorcockian Chaos army would be more what Prince Gaynor led.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

sixsideddice

hmmmm, yes you are dead right there aren`t you capthugeca. I DO like your minis, really tasty.

Sandinista

Now Prince Gaynor's army would be fun   :d

sixsideddice

Hmmm, yes. Prince Gaynor's Hell-Horde of Chaos would be a nice idea.

There is already an ideal mini to represent Queen Xiombarg.

I guess you could then add Conan and Elrik to the mix.

Nice idea  :-\

capthugeca

Quote from: sixsideddice on 16 September 2011, 09:47:18 PM
I guess you could then add Conan and Elrik to the mix.

Do you mean Corum?

And what about the Grande Bretagne Empire from the Runestaff Chronicles?
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

O Dinas Powys

Hmm, tricky one for me this.  I'm not at all a fan of the oversized weapon, stupidly large helmeted, chaos spiky bits look of GW's chaos.  I like weapons and armour to be in sensible proportions and look actually functional!  (I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;) )

My personal favourite take of chaos is Glorantha, where you have chaotic races (nicely covered by the beestmen, haedusmen and the like), but where generally there's no such thing as a GW chaos warrior type.

What I'd like to see are some generic medieval types to match the slightly larger scale of the fantasy figures including (to bring it back on-topic) "knights of dark and light".

The dark knights would have the traditional skull/evil face shields, bony/organic/gothic armour, etc, but more anti-paladin/undead knight types than chaos warriors per se.

Conversely, the knights of light would be your paladin types, with crosses on shields, clean-cut lines, etc. 

Anyway, just my tuppence worth  ;)

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Eeeeek !

I'm going to have my work cut out to hopefully please everybody ! ;D ;D....But I'll see what I can come up with. ;)
The most important thing from a starting point of view for me is going to be the scale...

As I write, I haven't got any of the current Pendraken fantasy range..(Tho' Leon's promised me a few samples very soon.)
If I understand correctly from what forum members have said....The Fantasy models are a bit larger....Anyone fancy telling me by how much ?

I could really do with a comparison shot of a 'human' figure from both the fantasy range and any historical range standing next to each other.... Any chance guys ?

(Ideally figures standing almost upright would be the best...says Mr Fussy....But that'll give me the size of the 'dolly' I'll need to start with.)

Hope the above makes some sort of sense...

Cheers - Phil.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 17 September 2011, 03:24:12 PM
Eeeeek !

I'm going to have my work cut out to hopefully please everybody ! ;D ;D....But I'll see what I can come up with. ;)
The most important thing from a starting point of view for me is going to be the scale...

As I write, I haven't got any of the current Pendraken fantasy range..(Tho' Leon's promised me a few samples very soon.)
If I understand correctly from what forum members have said....The Fantasy models are a bit larger....Anyone fancy telling me by how much ?

I could really do with a comparison shot of a 'human' figure from both the fantasy range and any historical range standing next to each other.... Any chance guys ?

(Ideally figures standing almost upright would be the best...says Mr Fussy....But that'll give me the size of the 'dolly' I'll need to start with.)

Hope the above makes some sort of sense...

Cheers - Phil.

This one is the best I can remember from my previous searches (from http://ewigeheld.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/10mm-pendraken-miniatures-fantasy/heroes_1/ )

Most of the figures are historical, however the two guys in cloaks are wood elves and the two bare armed/chested guys are barbarians.  The striking thing is how much taller the elves look than the figure with the blue staff even though they are behind him.

Although these are all fantasy, the barbarian chieftain at the top of the stairs is closer to the historic scale than the others.  His head only comes up to the shoulders of the barbarian swordsman on the bottom right of the picture.

Whilst searching for images I found my own comment on the subject (with the photo below) in this thread: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2848.0

The skeleton far left is Pendraken fantasy, whilst the wizard is Merlin from ARL18 Late Roman Personalities.  (From http://aportodos.mforos.com/1354550/7782193-10mm-pendraken-vs-kallistra/ )

O Dinas Powys

Just spotted this one from http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2009/05/10-mm-scale-comparison-among.html

Another Arthurian Personality/Skeleton combo on the right.

nikharwood

I like GW Chaos - like these...from my start of this thread  :P

Having said that, it'd be nice to see anything that's evil & intimidating & looming & enigmatic & dark...and with some female sexy-ness as well...

No pressure then Techno  ;) ;D

sixsideddice

QuoteDo you mean Corum?

Naaaaa!! Marval did a few Conan and Elrik crossovers.

Techno

Brilliant stuff guys..Much appreciated!! :-bd

Sooooo....Basically a head taller than a historical figure....
Pressure....What pressure ?..... ;D ;D...I'll sort something out !

I'll start popping up piccys once I've got something on the go...or near to completion, but there are some other projects that are higher priority to do first.  ( No clues...or guessing.) ;)
But I'll do odd models as 'fillers' as i progress.

Then I'll wait for the flack ! ;D

Cheers - Phil.....(Who....if he was better at finding his way around sites with a bit more competence would have been able to find the stuff for himself. !.....Mind you..It would have probably taken me about a week...So many thanks again.)

OldenBUA

Quote from: Techno on 17 September 2011, 03:24:12 PM

A comparison shot with some medieval types on the left, a wood elf in the centre, and barbarians and an amazon on the right. Most noticable is the amazon on the extreme right, these are strapping lasses!

Otherwise, the 'a head taller' doesn't apply, I would say. The fantasy ones are bigger, but only a little. Oh, and if you would like some other comparison shots with other figures, just ask!

Note: All sadly untouched, but not unloved, I can assure you!

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Luddite

Shes a big lass on the end there...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

OldenBUA

Quote from: Luddite on 18 September 2011, 01:00:30 PM
Shes a big lass on the end there...

Maybe they grow em big in the Boro? I heard the Amazons were modelled on these. Or maybe they were referring to something else...
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.