Fantasy: Chaos Warriors

Started by nikharwood, 04 March 2011, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KOVAV

15 September 2011, 05:29:18 PM #30 Last Edit: 15 September 2011, 06:32:10 PM by KOVAV
this video should give you the idea.
if you notice they are both taller and wider then the Empire soldgiers
Glory and Fame! blood is our name! souls full of thunder! hearts of steel! killers of men! a warriors friend! sword to avenge our fallen brothers to the end! one day to, I may fall; I shall enter odins hall!I shall die, sword in hand! my name, and my deeds shall scorch the land!

Leon

They do look quite distinctive, so we'd have to look at doing a cool looking Knight with accentuated armour and oversized weaponry?   ;)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sixsideddice

Quoteif you notice they are both taller and wider then the Empire soldgiers

again, without wanting to sound or be in any way obtuse, but... is this about making a new range of generic looking Pendraken Chaos warriors, or trying to mimic Games Workshops very specific idea of Chaos troops which were invented to be a part of their own world?

fred.

My view of Chaos Warriors will forever by in the early 80s as per this boxed set

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

sixsideddice

QuoteMy view of Chaos Warriors will forever by in the early 80s as per this boxed set

Wow, I have those fred. yes, when I think of Chaos warriors, many many things come to mind before I pick up the present GW accepted status quo image.

The ones you show here fred, are exactly the kind of guys I`m thinking about in my minds eye.

Nico

Quote from: sixsideddice on 15 September 2011, 08:46:15 PM

again, without wanting to sound or be in any way obtuse, but... is this about making a new range of generic looking Pendraken Chaos warriors, or trying to mimic Games Workshops very specific idea of Chaos troops which were invented to be a part of their own world?

Kovav showed us how GW marauders/chaos knights look like - I think this is okay :) - but you're having a point, of course, six. It would be way more interesting to create something unaffiliated and self-reliant.

On the other hand, the different releases/versions of GW chaos warriors where created by various designers and influenced by several media throughout the years, decades even. There's other companies than GW too, naturally. So there is some kind of design history (including customer feedback etc.) you shouldn't completely overlook I say.

If you ask me, there are some attributes you might want to describe as typical for the generic "chaos warrior stereotype", such as:

- tall
- bulky
- heavy armor
- large weapons
- complete face hidden beneath a helmet
- sometimes horns, sometimes spikes, sometimes skulls or skull ornaments

rest is individual flavour or style.

By the way - since the fantasy (especially the dungeon) range is still quite in it's baby shoes, wouldn't it be fun to have a forum section or at least thread, to discuss if and how there should be an individual Pendraken style which marks at least some "sub-ranges" as Pendraken ?

I wouldn't want to limit the sculptors either, but maybe this is possible. just a thought.

Cheers, Nico

Sandinista

For me I think of Moorcock and Melnibone, which I see as in relation to the current fantasy range slightly spikier versions of the high elves with big dragons & riders. Perhaps less barding on horses, and did I mention the dragons...

sixsideddice

QuoteKovav showed us how GW marauders/chaos knights look like - I think this is okay - but you're having a point, of course, six. It would be way more interesting to create something unaffiliated and self-reliant.

On the other hand, the different releases/versions of GW chaos warriors where created by various designers and influenced by several media throughout the years, decades even. There's other companies than GW too, naturally. So there is some kind of design history (including customer feedback etc.) you shouldn't completely overlook I say.

Of course Nico, I totally see your point, and as I always say, at the end of the day it’s all down to personal choice really. I think I was trying to steer a course away from `specifically ‘ the GW vision of things, maybe to look beyond that to other options; but I do think I`m probably flogging  a dead horse here, as the images almost set down in stone by the primogenitor of it all is an enduring and alluring temptation many will find hard to deviate from, almost as an institutional psyche at this stage and almost three decades down the road.

Bottom line is, I guess.... I`d just know I`d be bl**y happy to see any Chaos warriors in the 10mm range, what ever design stance they ultimately take  :)

Six  :)

Sandinista

Go back to the original novels and interpret afresh, don't be a sheep, how about a Jerry Cornelius type figure as well?

Nico

Quote from: sixsideddice on 15 September 2011, 11:39:18 PM
Bottom line is, I guess.... I`d just know I`d be bl**y happy to see any Chaos warriors in the 10mm range, what ever design stance they ultimately take  :)

True - Let's see what Techno comes up with.

sixsideddice

16 September 2011, 12:18:29 AM #40 Last Edit: 16 September 2011, 12:21:58 AM by sixsideddice
QuoteGo back to the original novels and interpret afresh, don't be a sheep, how about a Jerry Cornelius type figure as well?

Ooooh, now that would be something worth waiting to see   :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

KOVAV

I support divirsity and creativity, I was simpy pointing out how GW makes them. I was mistaken though by implying that that was THE way to make them. I too will be very, very happy to see any kind of Chaos warriors.
Glory and Fame! blood is our name! souls full of thunder! hearts of steel! killers of men! a warriors friend! sword to avenge our fallen brothers to the end! one day to, I may fall; I shall enter odins hall!I shall die, sword in hand! my name, and my deeds shall scorch the land!

sixsideddice

QuoteI support divirsity and creativity, I was simpy pointing out how GW makes them. I was mistaken though by implying that that was THE way to make them. I too will be very, very happy to see any kind of Chaos warriors.

Gosh NO Kovov, I don`t think you were wrong at all. Sometimes I come across as very firm and single minded in my views (bloody minded some might say hehe) but I totally do see where you are coming from - as well as other valued points of view from others. For me, I`m just trying to open the view a little to see if there is a shared collective wider than the more obvious. I LOVE the stereotypical Chaos type dude as much as the next person, and would probably be first in the line to purchase a legion of them for my own games. I suppose I have images of the movie Excalibur, Flesh and Blood (and recently Ironclad); and books like Elrik flaoting around in my mind as viable alternatives hehe.

I LOVE all these comments... it really makes me think. And occasionally I get de-railed and I find myself taking new lines of thought I`d never ever considred as others show me alternative possibilities.

Its all good stuff.

Six :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

16 September 2011, 08:50:07 AM #43 Last Edit: 16 September 2011, 09:13:12 AM by mad lemmey
Quote from: Sandinista on 15 September 2011, 11:19:16 PM
For me I think of Moorcock and Melnibone, which I see as in relation to the current fantasy range slightly spikier versions of the high elves with big dragons & riders. Perhaps less barding on horses, and did I mention the dragons...

That's how I see Chaos as well, unless it's Khaos form Nemesis the Warlock from the Alan Moore period of 2000AD (which was far more, erm... Grilby)

Sandinista, you forgot to metion the Dragons, or the Dragons!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

sixsideddice

*chuckles at Lemmy*

mmmm yes, Moorcock Chaos - almost elfen like and fey, delicate silver tongued Melnibone knights with an almost  feminine contradiction about them (Slanesh)... yet oh so very dark and evil.

Hmmm, nice image. I could work with that   :-\