Basing?

Started by paintingdeamon, 03 March 2011, 11:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintingdeamon

Hi everyone,

a quick question from a new guy  :-[
i,m very tempted to get in to some 10mm miniature madnes :d but after some reading and watching some posts here.
i cant seem to find any commen base sises :-\

so my question is on what sise bases do u put your miniatures on?

greets,

Harold

Arsenus

Hello and welcome here!

The base depends of the rules you want to use (Horde of the things, etc...)

Let the others respond more precisly than I.
The shadow of a man can never stand up and walk on its own.

https://arsenus.blogspot.fr/

Maenoferren

Usually I go for individual basing for my games, but also have a whole pile of 20x40mm bases for anything that needs them
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Hertsblue

No-one has ever managed to standardize base sizes in wargaming, mainly because if you put six wargamers together in a room and ask for an opinion on anything you'll get six different answers. So Arsenus is absolutely right - find a set of rules you like and they will tell you what size of bases you need. As a general rule however, as long as both sides have the same basing you can usually get along.  ;)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Aart Brouwer

Some rulesets aren't concerned with basing at all, there are only a few that raise the issue to scholastic levels.

In Renaissance games for instance, you can use the exact same basing for Field of Glory Renaissance and for Impetus. In Naps you can play both Lassalle and Black Powder with the same basing.

For WWII basing prescriptions are even more relaxed: you can play Spearhead, Blitzkrieg Commander, Fire and Fury's Battlefront WWII, Crossfire and a host of other rulesets with one and the same basing system. Well, give or take a command stand or sumtin.

By far the most important thing is that whatever rulebook you use, the basing of all troops used should be consistent. Keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Luddite

Indeed there is no standard and basing depends on the rules you're using.

Personally i pretty much standardise all my 10mm basing into;

Infantry = 40x20mm
Cavalry = 40x30mm
Artillery = 40x40mm

Kind of a hang-over from years of DBM play...
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Hertsblue

See what I mean about six different answers :D
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Hertsblue on 06 March 2011, 10:51:58 AM
See what I mean about six different answers :D

Um, not really. We're all stating the same: there is no standard, it's a free country and mine isn't bigger than yours. Mind you, this approach is a huge improvement over certain other sites.  :D

Cheers,
Aart

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Pruneau

Maybe if you have an idea what period you would like to play in we can try and help determine the ruleset and hence the optimal basing format.  I currently use two standards for 2 different periods: HOTT bases (15x40,20x40, 30x40, 40x40) for anything fantasy / medieval and 25x25 for WW2 infantry for my own ruleset, putting ordnance on 50x40 and vehicles unbased.  With these bases I can also play BKC, but it might be a bit confusing when the opposing player has standard BKC basing, never tried that.  As long as you have the troops for the two sides to a conflict yourself, you can do pretty much what you want, in most rulesets.

Again, if you can give some suggestions as to what you would like to play, replies will be more precise and useful.
Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Sandinista

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 06 March 2011, 12:03:04 PM
Mind you, this approach is a huge improvement over certain other sites.

A few years ago on a different forum I mentioned I was using 30mm x 15mm bases for my 6mm warmaster games, as it works better for the space I have. From the response I got you would have thought I had suggested ****** ****** the virgin Mary over the crib. Some people really need to get themselves a sense of proportion

Maenoferren

Quote from: Sandinista on 06 March 2011, 06:14:51 PM
A few years ago on a different forum I mentioned I was using 30mm x 15mm bases for my 6mm warmaster games, as it works better for the space I have. From the response I got you would have thought I had suggested ****** ****** the virgin Mary over the crib. Some people really need to get themselves a sense of proportion
30x15 are you mad!!!
Begone foul fiend of the pit  :D :D

I once even put two pistoliers on my bases of Warmaster empire lot... that raised a few eybrows, but it did give me twice as many bases  :D
baiscally choose a rule set and or dicsuss it with people you will be playing with and do what you want
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

NTM

40x20mm is probably the commonest base size for 10mm figures and will work with most rulesets IMHO.

paintingdeamon

Hi All,

:-\ i think the rule set wil be Blackpowder
so i,m setteling the base sise on

Infantry :  20 x 20 (4)
Cavalry : 25 x 25 (2)
Skirmishers : 20 x 20  (2)
Artillery : 30 x 30  / 40 x 40  ( 3pdr / 6 pdr)

making some test bases as we speak, no i just have to make up my mind what to put on them  :D
AWI,ACW or napoleonic

thanx fot the feedback guys,

Harold

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: paintingdeamon on 08 March 2011, 08:44:25 AM
:-\ i think the rule set wil be Blackpowder
so i,m setteling the base sise on

Infantry :  20 x 20 (4)

Excellent. Flexible, but not too fidgety. And you'll be able to play Lassalle and several other rulesets as well. Just keep in mind what they say about consistency and frontage on page 13 of the BP rulebook.

And please report back to us with piccies and reports if you can!

Cheers,
Aart

DanJ

QuoteInfantry :  20 x 20 (4)

That just about what I use for my 7YW armies although I cram a few more infantry onto the bases and use 25x25mm bases for battalion guns.