TYW Rules?

Started by HarleyFrank, 21 March 2010, 04:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarleyFrank

HI,

just thinking about getting into Thirty Years War and not fininding muchin the way of rules. Basic Impetus Baroc seems to cover it, but everything else I've seen is for ECW, which does not interest me in the least. As formations during the TYW were considerably different from ECW, except towards the end maybe, I don't think rules are interchangeable, but I might be totally wrong on that.

ANyone recommend a set that would play well for 10mm, or should I stick with BAsic IMpetus and wait for the Full Impetus rules to come out?

I ask now because I've bought a pack of TYW minis at Alumwell and have no idea how to base them. I@m thinking of starting with an Imperial force, them maybe going Swedish for an opponent.

Thanks

Sgt Steiner

Hi

Some options

DBR (now at version 2) by Phil Barker which I have played several times. Gives reasonably good game.

Warfare In Age Of Discovery (by chaps that produced Warfare In Age Of Reason)

Advanced Armati had a Rennaissance section which I liked as big single base units like Impetus

A Renn version of Field Of Glory from Slitherine blokes is due out later this year. Whilst I am not a fan of the Ancients rules I see potential for the system to work better with Renn armies

Piquet has a Renn supplement I think called 'Anchor Of Faith'

Cheers
Gary

Fenton

although I like Armati and would recommend it to anyone who asks, Basic Baroque is a good set as well, and as you kow already its free...Not sure how easy it would be to get the original Armati anymore as the 2nd Edition doesnt have the Renn lists in anymore
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

HarleyFrank

Thanks guys,

I'll have a look at the suggestions and see what they are like.

I must admit I do like the 1 base = 1 unit and not having to remove figures, so I'll try and stick to rules that follow that system, if I can.

More I read about the 30YW, more I am getting into it, very much a forgotten period for wargaming, as in UK, it seems to be all ECW for that era.

Off to search the net for those rules now  :D

Jubilation T Cornpone

Have you considered Rennaissance Principles of War? It is no casualty removal and can be played with 10mm so should suit your needs.

Ben Waterhouse

I still have Advanced Armati for the Renn Rules

nikharwood

Tony Barr [from East Riding Miniatures] has done a RenaissanceMaster variant of WMA which is great - you can get it here: http://ermtony.pbworks.com/Renaissance+Commander

Dragoon

I was a spectator  at HGMS in Manchester last year. The Fields of Glory Renaisance Rules looked good to me.

Regards.
Regards

Mike L

goat major

i'm going to show my ignorance now. Is TYW just ECW with different names or is it a different gaming experience ?
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

HarleyFrank

I would put it the other way around, ECW is just a less interesting phase of the TYW  :o

Unless you're a Pom, that is ;D