Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
28 November 2020, 03:27:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've released some handy WWII Drivers & Passengers!
310786 Posts in 18056 Topics by 2269 Members
Latest Member: BKC Grenadier
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Painting & Modelling (Moderator: nikharwood)
| | |-+  My absolute-fecking-nightmare to paint is...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My absolute-fecking-nightmare to paint is...  (Read 7968 times)
nikharwood
General

« on: 20 March 2010, 10:21:53 PM »

...well? What is it? Faces? Tanks? Bedrolls? Eyes?  Shocked Bases? etc...

What, when presented with your nice new toys, do you most dread hitting with the brush..?
« Last Edit: 21 March 2010, 08:55:13 AM by nikharwood » Logged

Fenton
Lieutenant General

« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2010, 10:24:43 PM »

Actually for me its rifles...I can never seem to get the right colour brown for them...after that its the fingers that wrap round the barrel of the gun...hate that bit!

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!
clibinarium
Major

« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2010, 10:42:34 PM »

Hat tape on tricornes, straps on satchels and blanket rolls, horse furniture and reins, the shirt between cuffs and hand. Also particularily despised painting rolled up camo fabric, camo itself isn't too bad.

I should be honest though and say I hate painting in general.
Luddite
Brigadier

« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2010, 11:01:31 PM »

<snip> horse furniture and reins, <snip>

Yep, this gets my vote.  Absolutely hate painting these as i can never get them to look anything but 'patchy'.  Nightmare... Angry

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN
lentulus
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2010, 11:44:47 PM »

There is a point after about the third color when the figure looks like irretrievable rubbish - whatever I am going to do next is the hardest part.
Jase
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2010, 07:56:06 AM »

I have no nightmares about painting, prepping the miniatures though is quite another story; removing mouldlines, pre-undercoat basing etc. Absolutely hate it!

Exitus Acta Probat
Luddite
Brigadier

« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2010, 09:39:44 AM »

I have no nightmares about painting, prepping the miniatures though is quite another story; removing mouldlines, pre-undercoat basing etc. Absolutely hate it!

Ooohh...good one too.

Aye, i hate this.  Something Pendraken figs are mercifully light on i find.  There's occasional flash, but its usually on the base and easily snipped of.

Another thing i hate is having to glue figs together.  1-piece casting for me all the way.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN
Timbo1974
Cadet

« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2010, 10:56:35 AM »

Eyes, hate them.  They make or break a mini.  Hands down the easiest thing to paint but the hardest to get right.

Although I'm thinking that at 10mm this won't be so much of a problem.  Cheesy
Nosher
Major General

« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2010, 12:51:48 PM »

Horse's. Full stop!

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson
Captain Verbeek
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2010, 04:41:34 PM »

RED, plain and simple the color red is my Kryptonite, I just can't seem to get a decent effect with red.

Non Cadmus
Last Hussar
Major General

Swordsman, Poet, Lover

« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2010, 06:59:02 PM »

I should be honest though and say I hate painting in general.

Me too.  However having seen your painting I may never paint again, because if you hate it as much as I do, how come you can paint that well, and I am so pants.  Not that I have a choice if I want stuff done.

Red is always difficult to get over the black undercoat- I have found the GW Foundation paints very good, 1 coat.

I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.
clibinarium
Major

« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2010, 07:20:26 PM »

Don't loose faith in your own painting; I hate painting because I spent two years as a professional painter and doing it all day every day took its toll on my brain, towards the end it was completely soul destroying. This feeling has lessened with time, but I still find it difficult.
 Recently I painted two mounted 15mm figures for a sculpting client just to help them out and it took me a day and a half, so I am not over it yet. Its too similar to sculpting to be a relaxing hobby now. While I still dislike painting, its saving grace is reaching the end result, which is always rewarding.
Leon
Viscount

« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2010, 10:42:41 PM »

RED, plain and simple the color red is my Kryptonite, I just can't seem to get a decent effect with red.

Cheesy

www.pendraken.co.uk - Home to over 4000 products of shiny 10mm goodness!
www.minibits.net - MDF bases, Vallejo paints, I-94 decals, Red Vectors MDF buildings, Raiden Miniatures, Militia Miniatures and more!
goat major
Colonel

« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2010, 08:55:06 AM »

i also hate horse furniture. Thats why i'm doing AWI - minimal horses Smiley

Also on my hate list is eyes. My hand is way too shaky. There's a reason i do 10mm - no feeling of guilt about not doing eyeballs Smiley

My blog: http://simonspaintingblogandstuff.blogspot.com/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!
nikharwood
General

« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2010, 08:44:14 PM »

Something that can help with a decent red - especially if you're undercoating in black - is to paint whatever-it-is white first: this will give you a true-tone to start from...this'll also help you with oranges / yellows...

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: