18th Century Ottomans

Started by DanJ, 20 January 2011, 09:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanJ

The 18th Centry is well served and I've almost finished my French 7YW.

Next will be Prussians then Russians or Austrians but I've just noticed there are no Ottoman Turks  :o

Any chance of a nice Ottoman range? 

No hurry, end of the year would be fine  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Dan - most of the Rennasaince foot would do, Janissarys didnt change much over that period, nor gunners and cav as far as I can see.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

DanJ

Really?

I didn't know they were that far behind the times.

Could be a very colourful army, I'll have to do some research, primary source for this would have to be Terry Gilliam's "Baron Munchausen"  :D

Steve J

Hi Dan,
the following website has quite a bit of info on the Ottoman Empire, so well worth a look IMHO.

http://warandgame.com/tag/ottoman/

I've also collated a load of images off the web on the Ottomans that show them from medieval times all the way through to the 19thC. It gives you a good idea of what may or may not be useful.

If you drop me an e-mail, I can send you an ODT file of them, or word if required. Address below:

sc_johnson03 at yahoo dot co dot uk

FierceKitty

I think a key difference was that they abandoned armour. Just use the lighter figures. Tatar cavalry became the mainstay of their mounted arm too, didn't it?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sultanbev

When in 18th Century are you talking about? 1730s-40s had some differences from later, due to French influence and training, although it didn't affect uniform/clothing that much

Janissaries would indeed be fine from the earlier periods.

YORSTONS

I am looking at starting an Ottoman army for the Napolonic period to take on the Russians so any additions to cover this period would be good.