Army Painter System

Started by Hertsblue, 11 February 2011, 10:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Clark

Those blaggards may indeed need flogging :), but I suspect you meant to say flocking =O

Sean
God's Own Scale podcast
https://godsownscale6mm.podbean.com/

Hertsblue

Quote from: Dour Puritan on 14 April 2011, 07:06:56 AM
They look good but I think I'm still inclined to go for soft tone.
DP

I think we're now into the realms of personal preference :)
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

tjantzen

Quote from: salagam on 14 April 2011, 03:30:04 PM
Those blaggards may indeed need flogging :), but I suspect you meant to say flocking =O

Sean
I guess both would do them good  :D
Dansk Figurspilsforening - http://www.krigsspil.dk/

Fenton

Quote from: GordonY on 13 February 2011, 10:01:56 AM
This

remember to thin it with some water, this Punic cavalry were done with this stuff.

Gordon

EDIT: Pic resized.

Hi

~Do you have any close up's of the figures you have used with this mix?, and have you used it on 28mm figures?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

GordonY

Yes I've used it on 28mm figs, closeups just show up my horrid painting but I'll try to get some piccys done this week sometime.

Leon

Has anyone had any long-term problems with the B&Q type varnishes?  I was chatting to a guy a few shows back about alternatives to Army Painter, and he mentioned that his figures had become discoloured over a couple of years, turning white?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

GordonY

I've been usint that tin of B&Q for 3 years and no problems so far.

GordonY

Ok for Fenton here is some 28mm Skaven

and a closer look at some AWI 10mm militia

That do mate?

Gordon

Hertsblue

The photos make it look fairly glossy. I find the problem with commercial varnishes (i.e. the big-tin DIY stuff) is that you can never be certain what finish you will get. Even the nominally "satin" finishes come up fairly glossy.

Mind you, a lot of people like them like that - it's all a matter of taste I suppose.  :-bd
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

GordonY

Yeah it does come out glossy, but nothing that a splat with the Dullcote doesnt fix.

Fenton

thanks mate for the photos...off to B&Q I go
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Fenton

Hi

Sorry to revisit this one...I went to B&Q yesterday to get some varnish. stain to give it a go...GordonY what product did you buy? as I think I got the wrong stuff, and your pics of the pin are no longer showing

Cheers

GordonY

B&Q Quick Drying Floor Varnish, Rosewood shade, about £9 for a 750ml tin. Should be the clean brushes with water type, usual B&Q green own brand tin. Hope thats clear enough to get the right stuff.

Fenton

Many Thanks Gordon...wonder if I can take the stuff I bought back

fred.

B&Q are normally very good about returns - usually 30 days if you have the receipt. If you are wanting to do a swap then it should be absolutely fine.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts