Franco-Prussian Dismounted Cavalry

Started by privateer, 10 February 2011, 04:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

privateer

Seeing we got a little taste of some new Franco-PRussian figures I would like to put in a request for some Franco-Prussian Dismounted Cavalry, Prussian Hussar, Dragoons, French Hussars, Dragoons, Chasseurs etc. as well as the other states. they should also have horse holders as well

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

privateer

thanks Leon, I was thinking I would have got more of a response to my suggestion. Never mined.
How is my order going? is there time to add something else to it.

Leon

Quote from: privateer on 24 February 2011, 05:26:47 AM
thanks Leon, I was thinking I would have got more of a response to my suggestion. Never mined.
How is my order going? is there time to add something else to it.

Yeah, we need to dig out the mould for those rifles for you, so if there's anything you want to add, just pop us an email through.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

privateer

Will do, a friend also wants to add something as well

Sunray

Yes - a few dismounted types and horse holders would be very nice.

Sunray out

lentulus

Leman

I'll third this one. I think I've already made mention of the painting of dismounted French chasseurs attacking the inn at Schirlenhof.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sunray

Not hijacking the thread- but how common was dismounted action by troopers other than dragoons in FPW period ?  From my study of British Regimental diaries, its seems to have been the experience in South Africa - plus the SMLE MkIII  (the Martini Henry carbine had a wandering zero with hot .303)- that stimulated these units to even consider dismounting.  Your reference to Schirlenhof is very interesting. 

Sunray out

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Likewise not trying to hijack. Most British Cav dismounted to fight in SA,m but with Lee Metford carbines, the SMLE was introduced after the war.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Yeah, but if you don't give a stuff about a war where the British hardly ever saw the enemy and you are VERY interested in the mid-C19th European wars, then the discussion of dismounted FPW cavalry in an FPW dismounted cavalry thread seems pretty pertinent. Anyway, I'll start a new thread for you.

Doubt there was much dismounting in the formal bit of the FPW - mots cavalry were still stupid enough to charge mounted.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Martyn

Apart from pub bawls cavalry of the FPW followed the doctrine of staying mounted for combat. They certainly did not act like the cavalry of the american civil war. Dismounting to fight would have been considered socially unacceptable. Thats why they charged and died for the glory of an age that had already past.
I would recommend 28mm if you want pub fights and the searching for billets.

Leman

Sorry but you are spouting old chestnuts. Either that or contemporary commentators were seeing things and then making illustrations of their hallucinations; eg. Knotel's picture of dismounted French Dragoons being socially unnacceptable to the Prussians when defending Les Planches. The cavalry of both sides did this from one end of the war to the other. I, and other FPW players, would like to include this type of action in games. That's why we've requested the figures. If you don't want to do this in your games don't buy the figures.

Aart Brouwer

Excerpt from Shann, Stephen, and Louis Delpérier, French Army 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War (1): Imperial Troops, Osprey Men At Arms 233, Wellingborough, 2004

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)