Tips for better bases

Started by exilesjjb, 02 February 2011, 02:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exilesjjb

Ok we have lots of wargamers here so between us we shoulf be able to come up with plenty of tips for basing your freshly painted figures (unless you base first)
So for my part I have a few tips
1. use different grades of sand/grit, you will be suprised what difference this will make once dry brushed
2. flock only part of the base, I feel a fully flocked base looks like astroturf
3. vary the height of your base, eg a big of flock then a bit of static or scrub.
4. take your time to finish the base, you may have taken hours to paint the figure shame to let it down with a rushed base.

so if you have any good tips post away.
Peace
James Brewerton (Exiles Painting)

Dickie255

I don't think this is a anything new but I use wood filler to build up the base, let it dry then coat with white glue and dip into fine sand. Then apply another thin coat of white glue to bond the sand and when that's dry I use a black ink wash. My figures are for the NWF and the Sudan so its a real easy arid/desert environment I'm after.

Kassad

Sometimes I use this technique: I made bases using slim cork tiles and carved a hole in the midle, then put the miniature in the hole and cover the metal base with paste filler (like Das). I don't like the miniatures rise too much from the ground.
2011 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

My method is as follows for 10mm:
- Glue the figures to a 50mmx25mmx1.5mm ABS sheet base.
- If required, use pre-mixed fine surface polyfilla to level up any variance in base heights (This part is always used for 15mm and 28mm).
- Add a good amount of pva glue to the base, being careful not to put too much around the feet of the figures.
- Sprinkle on a mix of different sizes of grit. I use sharp sand that has been seived to remove the really large stones (Dirt cheap from any builders merchants and you get shed loads for a couple of quid). Shake of any excess after a few minutes.
- When dry, tap off any remaining 'sand' and prime. I use either matt black or a very dark brown.
- Paint and drybrush base to suit the figures and period.
- Add static grass to suitable areas of the base to make it look nice and varied.
- Add lichen, foliage clumps etc as required to vary the look and height of the base.