To The Last Gaiter Button.....Help !

Started by BKC Grenadier, 10 October 2021, 05:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKC Grenadier

Hello All,

6mm solo gamer here, ECW, WSS/Marlboro, Naps, ACW, FPW, WW2 main periods of interest but, as we know, that changes from day to day and hour to hour but always come back to these and have forces for them all except WSS at present.  I am thinking  I might do WSS in Pendraken 10mm too.  Anyway, enough waffle and to the point of this post.

I have large FPW forces in 6mm on 30x30mm bases for Polemos, They Died for Glory, Volley & Bayonet and BBB.  I love big games with the sweeping spectacle of mass troops, flanks and even an element of campaigning.  I need another rules set like a hole in the head but.......I came across, on Wargames Vault, a PDF for "To the Last Gaiter Button" and I'm smitten I think. lol.  I have an 8'x5' table, gridded on one side and plain on the other. I have used the grid side for Rommel and For King & Parliament thus far and recently downloaded both One Hour Wargames and The Portable Wargame both of which I intend using with my gridded table. 

My question to the undoubtedly knowledgeable members is as follows:  The grid squares in TtLGB are 10" whilst mine are 3" tho I have little doubt I can make my 3" squares work perfectly well for the game.  I would however very much appreciate the members input regarding the rules generally though.  I have searched high and low for reviews etc but have failed to find anything substantial other than what was written on Wargames Vault which while I don't doubt is perfectly genuine cannot be read as impartial or unbiased.  This is one of the few forums where I found reference to TtLGB, other than a very good blog of battles fought with them, which I enjoyed very much for hours last night, but it gave me very liittle insight into the rule mechanisms.  My thanks to anyone and indeed everyone who has had the patience to read through my waffle and may provide me with ANY insight in game play, mechanisms etc for To the Last Gaiter Button.  The buy now button on Wargames Vault is beckoning more strongly with every passing.....hour, nay minute !!

steve_holmes_11

I have a friend who played a whole campaign with them, and enjoys them immensely.

The FPW elements of his blog are here: http://corblogme.blogspot.com/search/label/FPW
You may recognise the scale and manufacturer of the troops.

I read about 8 pages into my download, and gave up after a real comprehension struggle.
I don't know whether that says more about me or the rules.

So I can't add much to the blog about the rules mechanisms.
Only that I found them hard reading.

The other "FPW on a grid" rules are

GrumpyOldMan

BKC Grenadier

Many thanks for your insight, everything is useful and much appreciated.  I couldn't restrain myself after my previous post so I just hit the Buy Now Button on Wargames Vault  ;D

I have spent the better part of this evening wading through a lot of text so I totally understand what you say about comprehension.  I think printing it all down and setting something up may aid clarity.

I read that blog you mentioned, only last night, and enjoyed it immensely, hence I'm $10 lighter today  ;D ;D ;D

Again, many thanks  :)

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 10 October 2021, 10:34:51 PM
Now that's a tease.... :D

Sorry about that, it's what I get for late distracted posting.

As I was saying, another gridded approach to the Franco Prussian War is Walter Schnaffs.

It is a supplement/amendment to Peter Pig's Square Bashing WW1 rules.
Not a complete product, a purchase of Square Bashing is required to play.
I have not played Square Bashing or Walter Schnafs, but Leman (of this forum) and some others have discussed them here.

A web search for "Walter Schnaffs Rules" will reveal some more.

Communication complete.

BKC Grenadier

Steve,

Good comms are everything  ;D

Thanks for info on Square Bashing and Walter Schnaffs supplement.  I downloaded this several days ago but of course I needed Square Bashing to do anything with 'em.  So only answer was to visit Peter Pig and lo and behold there were the rules in PDF.  Followed all the instructions on PP website re ordering them last night....late, as I'm wont to do  ;D.  Their website said it would be a day before the download would be available as the PDF had to be personalised but.........about an hour after placing my order, this is 2am btw, the download appears, all personalised too, in my email  :o  Outstanding service from Peter Pig and Martin.  I have a lot of reading to do, a lot of printing to do and then...........a lot of gaming to do.......hopefully  ;D ;D ;D

Leon

One of the Real Time guys is a frequent poster here so I've pointed him to this thread for you.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

BKC Grenadier

Very much appreciated Leon, thank you  :)

Shecky

I've played it a number of times and posted a few reports but unfortunately I think they were on the old Real Time Wargames Yahoo Group.

I enjoy the rules. They allow you to get a large number of figures on the table and resolve a large nettle in a reasonable time.

BKC Grenadier

For my money, any rules that get a large number of figures/bases on table and resolve large battles without getting bogged down are good  :o  I'm from a generation that played rules where I would need a magnifying glass to read the text now  ;D, millions of modifiers.....for everything and ponderous game play to say the least but.........in their defence, in their day, they were great fun and provided for many a good game. Times have changed as have rules.  A good "game" is all that matters at the end of the day IMHO.

Bernie

Hi
You could use 9 of your 3"x 3" squares to create the 1km x 1km squares used in the game or use coins with a small tree, broken limber/gun, schrub on to create the square boundaries.

Yes the intention was to create a 7km x 5km battlefield on a 6'x4' table that would approximate a Corps on Corps fight in 1870 and allow players to do their approach march, have sufficient room to deploy reserves and have a tight game system to represent the problems of deployment, lines of attack, different doctrines yet all game able in a few hours. For the follow up we did a set on the Republican Phase of the war: Paris City of light which led to Trapped Like a Fox on 1866 for the three theatres of war: Bohemia, Western Germany and Italy.

The Peter Pig Square Bashing concept was a brilliant approach as it took away the tape measure and the tedium of measuring distances to one of making decisions and speeding up our games

BKC Grenadier

Appreciate the input and pointers Bernie.  I have read through TtLGB once already and it reads well and sounds impressive.  Looking forward to getting it on the table and getting down and dirty with it.
I already have my eye on Paris, City of Light and have no doubt it will join my rules stable very shortly.  I got PP Square Bashing and downloaded Walter Schnaff's FPW supplement for them also just to give me the full picture as it were  ;D  Definitely not obsessive or compulsive here.