Interesting MDF bonus

Started by steve_holmes_11, 27 September 2021, 01:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

A top tip for any budding chefs (or whisky tasters).

Cooked up roast lamb with spuds, carrots and a north African style veg and lentil mix.
I was very pleased how it turned out, but taken aback when complemented on the "Lovely smoky aroma".

Turns out the 10mm MDF buildings I'd bought at Carronade were drying on the window-sill after assembly, and they were the source of the smell.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Westmarcher

How long will it be before we start seeing laser cut chips or mdf BBQ burgers on restaurant menus?   :D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Big Insect

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 27 September 2021, 01:27:44 PM

Cooked up roast lamb with spuds, carrots and a north African style veg and lentil mix.

Can you post the north African style veg & lentil mix recipe please Steve? Thanks
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Big Insect on 27 September 2021, 07:40:18 PM
Can you post the north African style veg & lentil mix recipe please Steve? Thanks

Sure:

Start with an iron pan, blend some cumin and a tiny bit of chilli into hot oil
Add fine chopped Celery, Red Cabbage and sautee for 5-10 minutes.
Microwave one of those "Tasty lentils" packs, open and pour over the top of the Celery and red cabbage.
Don't stir, increase heat for ~3 minutes.
Add some of the juices from the roast lamb a continue heat for a couple of minutes until juices are absorbed/reduced.
Cut heat, stir together to blend lentils with veg and residual juice.
Serve.

DecemDave

Sounds wonderful.  I can smell it from here.   :)

Oh sorry no     its those MDF offcuts I just bought off ebay.     

Westmarcher

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 27 September 2021, 08:03:49 PM
Sure:

Microwave one of those "Tasty lentils" packs, open and pour over the top of the Celery and red cabbage.
Add some of the juices from the roast lamb a continue heat for a couple of minutes until juices are absorbed/reduced.
Serve.

So, after all that, you had to rely on the mdf before they said it smelled good?   :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 27 September 2021, 08:51:59 PM
So, after all that, you had to rely on the mdf before they said it smelled good?   :P

It already smelled good, but the MDF added a little smoky aroma that shouldn't have been there.

Just for clarity - do not add MDF to your cooking.

hammurabi70

Sure:

Serve.

Interesting.  A new section to add to the list: culinary opportunities.

For comparison, Lunch today:
* Wash red lentils and boil for 20 minutes, adding chicken stock from weekend roast.
* During cooking add chopped onion and garlic.
* At end of cooking add chopped salami and serve as soup.
* During cooking prepare a side-salad of celery, lettuce and tomato with feta cheese; serve with bread.

Techno II

I can see a Cookery, Today's Specials menu thread starting soon !!  :)

I'm afraid my contribution won't go much further than scrambled eggs.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Big Insect

Sure:

Serve.

Thanks Steve - sounds like my kind of cooking  :)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Quote from: Techno II on 28 September 2021, 07:59:30 AM
I can see a Cookery, Today's Specials menu thread starting soon !!  :)

I'm afraid my contribution won't go much further than scrambled eggs.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Well Im down to Asda ready meals !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Big Insect on 28 September 2021, 09:27:37 AM
Thanks Steve - sounds like my kind of cooking  :)

I'm very much an Improv" cook, so feel free to add your own touches: Onion, garlic, chopped tomato.
Each time I make it I think in a different variation.

Veggies can substitute some marmite broth for the lam juice.

As to quantities: 2 packs of 10mm African/Afghan buildings opened 2 days earlier..

FierceKitty

Red lentils and almost any respectable ingredients can be counted on to give a tasty puree soup at need.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.