Map for London GT MeG Tournement

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 18 September 2021, 09:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Cool. I like how there is a tail leading out of Europe. Then a smattering from around the world

If you are still feeling bored how about a timeline?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I think crowded is good.

But the outliers do cover 3000 years of history!

It is interesting that with Ancients and Medievals, people seem happy to match up armies that only have been armed with pointy sticks as the point of commonality, not that they where proximate in either time nor geography. For WWII its very rare (if not unheard of) to match up a 1941 Desert force vs a 1944 East front force. The closest I have seen is some Blue on Blue games of FoW.

Maybe because in WWII you have distinct uniforms and paint schemes for theatres, and that most rulesets cover the increase in armour and weapon strength. Whereas I think most ancient / medieval rules treat weapons and armour far more relative to weapon strengths - without thinking about absolute weapon strengths for a bronze axe vs a WoTR pole axe.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

I have used 42 brit's against 44/5 Gremans, but not often.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

I think the time-line exhibits one of the challenges for rules covering such a broad time frame.
Naturally the later armies (medieval) generally tend to do better against the earlier ones, but can MeG balance out the differences? This is usually done via the points system, so later armies are smaller and have smaller break-points.
But can a Sumerian City State army really fight successfully against a French Ordonnance army. It will be interesting to see.

Many competitions will 'band' their events - with breakpoints at changes of military technology or approach. Biblical/Classical/Dark Ages/Early Medieval/Later Medieval.

It will also be really interesting to see the final rankings at the various stages in the event (after each round). If that can be managed  ;D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Steve J

Fair points Mark. I wouldn't fancy some of the possible match ups, unless there was a way of 'balancing' things a bit as your rightly say. As for WWII non-period match ups, say a Polish '39 army vs a Russian '45 one wouldn't be fun for anyone, not matter how you tried to balance things.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Normally MeG is themed. Dark Agrs/Med etc

Skullrollers/GT is open which is rare.

The thing with WW2 is between 40 and 45 there is a massive technological shift that the tank armour weapons are rendered obsolete. Small arms remain the same, ish...