AWI Flags

Started by Westmarcher, 13 September 2021, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Does anyone know of any source of good quality 10mm flags for this conflict other than Warflag, Wargames Designs (which doesn't do AWI) or Pendraken (not good quality, unfortunately)?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

I've not seen many 10mm specific ones but a lot of the larger companies will rescale for you?  Ours really need updating but I've not managed to get that organised yet.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Westmarcher

I can guess you have far more important priorities at this time, Leon, but if you thought a better quality product might happen before the year end, I would hold fire and wait for it.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leon

Quote from: Westmarcher on 13 September 2021, 04:39:03 PM
I can guess you have far more important priorities at this time, Leon, but if you thought a better quality product might happen before the year end, I would hold fire and wait for it.

Definitely not this year I'm afraid, I've got our flag guy redesigning the ACW sheets at the moment and then we can look at where to go next.  He doesn't currently have any AWI in his own ranges so they'd need to be done from scratch.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

John Cook

Quote from: Westmarcher on 13 September 2021, 03:59:14 PM
Does anyone know of any source of good quality 10mm flags for this conflict other than Warflag, Wargames Designs (which doesn't do AWI) or Pendraken (not good quality, unfortunately)?

I'm afraid not, but I stopped buying 10mm flags some time ago, from any source, for all kinds of reasons - too big, inaccurate, poor quality, limited choice.  Anyway, my solution for all periods, is to buy 28mm, scan them at the highest resolution on quality paper, resize and print them myself, keeping the originals as masters.  With 28mm you get better detail than any 10mm, even when you've reduced them.  Flags of War is my choice.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Vaubanner, and ask him to rescale to 10mm which he happily did for me.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Quote from: John Cook on 14 September 2021, 11:10:57 AM
I'm afraid not, but I stopped buying 10mm flags some time ago, from any source, for all kinds of reasons - too big, inaccurate, poor quality, limited choice.  Anyway, my solution for all periods, is to buy 28mm, scan them at the highest resolution on quality paper, resize and print them myself, keeping the originals as masters.  With 28mm you get better detail than any 10mm, even when you've reduced them.  Flags of War is my choice.

I used a similar method for all my Wars of the Three Kingdoms Scots flags, but put togther my own larger scale patterns (inspired by Stuart Reids books on Scots Flags of the Civil Wars) using MS Paint and/or GIMP, save as high quality BMP file then reduce to 10mm size and print out using my little Epson inkjet (which can print to a pretty high resolution).

Here's some examples from an eariler thread which I think turned out pretty well: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17480.1305.html

Flags with crests and scrolling can take a while to do but at 10mm size its hard to spot minor glitchs  :)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Glorfindel

I've used Maverick Models before many times - Stuart is only too happy to resize to suit.

The flags themselves (and service) are excellent.   Highly recommended.

Phil

DHautpol

Maybe it's just bad luck but I've often found that flags that look amazing in 28mm don't always rescale very well. They seem to develop a sort of muddiness, which I think comes from the outlines affecting the the colours as the number of pixels reduces.

Like Pierre I prefer to make my own in MS PAINT and print at home.  This means that I can print them at exactly the size I think looks most effective (I tend to like slightly over scale flags) and tweak the colours until I'm happy. 
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mollinary

14 September 2021, 06:03:36 PM #9 Last Edit: 14 September 2021, 07:44:05 PM by Leon
Grahame at GMB Designs was very helpful when I asked if he would resize his 15mm flags to fit my Pendraken flagpoles. He reduced the biggest ones to 13mm on the pole, and slightly widened the sleeve to ensure none of the detail overlapped the pole. The results are glorious! He only added an extra 25p on the cost of a 6 flag sheet (so £4 for 6 flags) for the faff of doing the change. I will send a couple of photos to Leon in the hope he may be able to add them to this thread (pretty please  :D)

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

Those look great Mollinary 8).

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Thank you for your recommendations, gentlemen.  Great pics, Andrew.   :-bd  Unfortunately, my old colour printer which has provided so much good service over the years is no longer up to the job so my flags will have to be sourced commercially. But thanks to you, not only do I now have loads of really good quality products to choose from but by pooling ideas, I think you've set up a really good resource here for flags in general.   =D>

Westmarcher

A postscript.  I eventually opted for Maverick-Models.  Good service and good looking flags.  Ordered the flags on Saturday, contacted by Stuart the same day about the re-sizing and received them in the post on Wednesday (today). 

:-bd

paulr

:-bd

Looking forward to seeing the units with flags :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!