Napoleonic History Podcasts

Started by Stewart.gibson, 13 February 2022, 10:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewart.gibson

Hi Guys

Given the popularity go The Napoleonic period I am surprised that I cannot locate an academic supported Nap history podcast similar to that created by the good folks and Ancient Warfare Magazine.

https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/awblog/podcast-ancient-warfare-xi-1-archery-ancient-world/

I'm not looking for a podcast that has the occasional episode on Napoleonic Warfare followed by an episode on Hobart's Funnies.  Is there a dedicated Napoleonic Warfare podcast out there?

Active Projects

10mm 1809 Austrians, 1809 French,1809 Bavarians, Normans, Arabs

Rules
HFG, Marshal's Baton, Hail Caesar, Black Powder

John Cook

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

mmcv

There's an Age of Napoleon podcast, https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-age-of-napoleon-podcast/id1223795973

Also the Napoleonic Quarterly, https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-napoleonic-quarterly/id1547058446

I haven't listened to either of these myself (saving them for if/when I decided to take the plunge into the period) but they seem reasonably well rated.

Not sure what podcast service you used, just linked apple as it came up first, I tend to use Google podcasts myself.

Titivillus

I really like The Age of Napoleon, but it is not explicitly about warfare: it covers everything from the Revolution through Napoleon's career, with considerable time spent on the politics, philosophy and other social elements of the period. There is also a lot of biography. The host goes at it in chronological order, though, so it can be a really good introduction/refresher, if that is what you want.

The Napoleonicist is another podcast that is quite good. I have listened to fewer of them, but they are not chronological. Instead, the host covers whatever topic suits him and he has guests on to discuss things (he is an academic in his day job).

The Redcoat History podcast has a season on the Peninsula. That one is in my "to listen" pile, but I know people who really loved his season on the Zulu wars.

2022 Painting Competition - Winner!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Do I dectect a new member Welcome Titivillus
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Titivillus

Hello! Thank you for the welcome.  :)
2022 Painting Competition - Winner!

Stewart.gibson

Hello, and thank you all for the suggestions.  I have not listened to any of the as yet but when I resume painting Bavarians tomorrow I'll give them a listen

Stu
Active Projects

10mm 1809 Austrians, 1809 French,1809 Bavarians, Normans, Arabs

Rules
HFG, Marshal's Baton, Hail Caesar, Black Powder