Killer Katanas 2 Base Sizes

Started by Bob51451, 13 September 2021, 03:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob51451

I am having a hard time in understanding the base sizes for the above game.  The rules say that for 15 mm figures the foot base sizes, are 1 1/2" X 1/2" for four figures (4), and for mounted troops ,it is 1" X 1" for two (2) figures.. But when it comes to 10 mm size  figures , it says to convert all measurements to centimeters.
     Does this mean that the measurement 1 1/2" X 1/2" is in centimeters ( 4 cent. X 3/8" cent.) . Can I get some help on this matter. Thanks so much,

Bob51451

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Dont have those rules so not much help, but welcome to the asylum  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Firstly I rarely bother converting games from inches to centimetres - I think most look better with small figures and standard distances. And then put more 10mm figures on the base!

I'd be even less inclined to do so between 15mm recommendations and 10mm ones.

But if you do want to convert, and the instruction is to convert inches to cm for distances. Then for bases, rather than having 1.5 inch by 0.5 inch bases I would have 1.5cm by 0.5 cm base.  And for cavalry 1cm by 1cm

Frankly those bases sound too small and would be fiddly. The 15mm bases are hardly big at 3.8cm by 1.3cm and 2.5 cm by 2.5 cm

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Orcs

Quote from: fred. on 13 September 2021, 07:47:30 AM

Frankly those bases sound too small and would be fiddly. The 15mm bases are hardly big at 3.8cm by 1.3cm and 2.5 cm by 2.5 cm

I totally agree with Fred. If you are putting both sides together I would round the infantry base size up t0 40 x 20 as this is compatible with far more rule sets. 

I do convert down to CM when converting sets written for 28mm, but for a set written for 15mm I would not bother, unless table size was a real issue
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Welcome!

The rules for large and small scale battles state that you keep the base size the same but halve distances and ranges (Scales 2.2), so that to me would suggest the range and movement is more important than the base size. The suggestion on 6-10mm says about changing measurements to cm just, so again I'd think range and movement rather than base sizes.

As others have said, the recommended base size is fairly small already so keeping the suggested base sizes or something close to them is probably sensible enough and just double the number of figures on the bases. Maybe even a more standard 40x15 or 40x20 would work. I don't think the actual number of figures is important.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with them, I own a copy but haven't really been inclined to play them yet. I got them mostly for the reference material and background (which is mostly decent if a little dated).

Westmarcher

Welcome from me, too.

But if you do want to convert, and the instruction is to convert inches to cm for distances. Then for bases, rather than having 1.5 inch by 0.5 inch bases I would have 1.5cm by 0.5 cm base.  And for cavalry 1cm by 1cm

Indeed. Good luck trying to place two 10mm scale mounted figures on a 1cm x 1cm base - four 10mm foot figures also sounds impossible.

Firstly I rarely bother converting games from inches to centimetres - I think most look better with small figures and standard distances. And then put more 10mm figures on the base!

I recommend you follow Fred's advice (and this is OK as per MMCV's comments on the rules) or devise your own base sizes. Many of us do for various rules and eras. I do. I even convert inches to my own units of measurement - I have measuring sticks where 1 inch = 2cm and 1 inch = 1.5cm.  This is all driven by my available wargaming table size. The authors are not going to turn up at your door and demand their rules back.  Here's an example of someone else doing their "own thing" with 10mm scale figures and the Fire & Fury rules:-

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2020/02/01/playing-brigade-fire-fury-2nd-edition-in-10mm-i-did-it-my-way/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.