Pendraken miniatures with O Group rules

Started by Norm, 10 September 2021, 07:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

'O' Group rules doing Assault on Strassengabel.

I have put up a blog post that looks at an 'O' Group action (published by Reisswitz Press and designed by david Brown) - using a scenario belonging to another publisher, so  that I could see how each rule set approached this problematic scenario.

LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/09/assault-on-strassengabel-o-group-game.html

Techno II

Steve J

Great report and overview of the rules Norm :).

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Norm

Thanks all. ian, you can download some vehicle stats from the website and I think you will enjoy looking through them, I think the gun / armour relationships are pretty good.

T13A

Hi Norm

Great write up! I've managed two solo 'O' Group games so far and enjoyed both and completely agree with your observations particularly about how well the rules are written. I think the way the rules work they would be even better with an opponent.

Thanks Norm.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Norm

Hi Paul, I saw and enjoyed your posts over on the 'O' Group Forum. I am quite taken by the rules and over the past couple of days, keep diving into the rulebook to try and entrench some familiarity with the system. For solo players, I think the Ambush aspect would probably add a bit more if played face-to-face. Overall, I think they do deliver a different type of game and as such they join the ranks of just a few 'new' rule sets that can truly claim that.

Battleback

Quote from: Norm on 12 September 2021, 11:44:42 AM
Hi Paul, I saw and enjoyed your posts over on the 'O' Group Forum. I am quite taken by the rules and over the past couple of days, keep diving into the rulebook to try and entrench some familiarity with the system. For solo players, I think the Ambush aspect would probably add a bit more if played face-to-face. Overall, I think they do deliver a different type of game and as such they join the ranks of just a few 'new' rule sets that can truly claim that.
Great write up as usual Norm! Two aspects of these rules have keep me from buying them.

1) It doesn't appear from what I've gathered this game will be a good solo game. I mean I'm sure it will work, but it would lose a lot of the nuances that sets these rules apart when playing solo.

2) I'm not sure this game is a quick-play system. For my group we want to finish a game in around 2 hours. Blitzkrieg Commander delivers in this respect and its one of the reasons why we use it for our batailion level games. O Group on the other hand seems to be closer to 3 - 4 hours maybe a little less after everyone has several games under there belt.

So am completely wrong? I do like a lot of what I've seen of these rules but these two personal observations have keep me from buying the rules.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Norm

From my 'small' first run, plus some reading, I am not in a position to comment either in favour or against your concerns, so can't really say at the moment whether those are obstacles or not, but until you mentioned it, my assumption has been that it should be fine solo and will play in an evening - so now you have me thinking and I will come back once I have explored things further.

I am going to put a full game on the table and run it solo, so that should give me a better idea as to  what is what. As well as scenarios having objectives, a game can come to an end based upon casualties, so it is quite possible that a game will end within the 'single session' that most of us are familiar with.

I think one of the big advantages of non-solo play are that there are others around the table that will know the rules, which should make for a slicker game.

T13A

Hi Battleback

Just my take:

I think the rules do work solo (and importantly they are enjoyable and for me feel right for WWII) ,but the point I was trying to make was that I feel that they would work even better with real opponents.

I think that they are quick play but not necessarily in two hours, (but then again personally I would not expect to finish any wargame in two hours) and I actually found the mechanics very intuitive. Actually I would suggest that BKC is much more detailed on a unit by unit basis.

If you have not already seen these 'Strom of Steel' You Tube videos they give a good account of how the rules work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rKbeiXhHp4

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!