Tree Combat

Started by Heedless Horseman, 06 September 2021, 08:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

Think I've definitely gone off Mine! No idea where THIS came from!  :o
But, has anyone considered 'trees' as a 'battleground'?  Various Fantasy Sci Fi  settings?
Apparently, you can get 'Fake Bonsai' Trees, 20-30cm high, (Don't know if that includes pot.) Rather pricey. Might do for some 10mm, but 6mm would work better!
Add some bridges, platforms, constructions... and Evles / Samurai... whatever?
Or, take another look at that old overgrown, potted shrub 'by the front door'! 'Note: No Trees or Shrubs should be harmed in the making...!
Too silly to post on other than 'Fun Stuff'... and Too many Beers... but just a thought!  ;D  :o :-X
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Steve J

Sounds like a wooded Mordheim, but should work and would look wonderful.

Raider4

Thought you meant this:

Heedless Horseman

Interesting, Raider...never watched film. But, no... too much 'Flying' and 'springiness'...almost felt queasy!

No, Gnarly, Old trees... maybe NOT so big as 'Avatar' or one of the 'Tolkein ' movies! But large enough that you could construct platforms / walkways that could allow small based figs as an arboreal skirmish.

Any sort of Fantasy / Sci fi possible. Was thinking Wood Elves or a 'Far East' setting... but Star Wars, Tarzan or Robin Hood could run about!!!  :o ;D ;D ;D

Again, not really a serious idea...but...  ;)

fred.

Any game that makes use of 3D is good.

A fantasty game based amongst trees, could certainly work - I think from a practical modelling perspective you would be more interested in the main branches and trunks rather than the leafy bit. Which could make it look not very tree like.

I've often wondered about a floating island type game
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

As I've mentioned elsewhere here, I'm currently playing the computer game Valheim, a Viking themed survival game.

Other people have made some spectacular tree houses in it. My own efforts are more Heath Robinson than Mies van der Rohe!

I have thought more than once that it would make a wonderful elven themed stetting for a Mordheim/ Frostgrave type game. Though possibly without the branches of the World Tree,Yggdrasil, dominating the sky :)

If you get this idea in to solid form I look forward to photos of the result!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

Hmm. Glad I raised it, then... SOMETIMES 'Crazy' concepts  'could' work! lol.  ;)
I assume the Fake Bonsai would be resin... and 'leafy bits' could be sawn and pinned for access / replacement.
The items viewed on ebay... (From China... shudder!), seem to vary in size... and COST... but 'could... with some modelling,' make a very interesting skirmish in 6mm or maybe 10mm.
Wonder if may be available in UK Garden Centres? Have not looked... just a thought!!!
No plans for myself!   :(

Idle speculation in 'the early hours'! Assuming 'old' weaponry... Bows, 'maybe' muskets... a Tree House or village could be 'interesting' as an objective. Assume too damp for burning... no 'Aviation'... though 'Elephants', possible?  lol! Have fun with thinking!   ;)

sean66

Star Wars Ewok Village.

[url="https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiVkZrfrezyAhVN1O0KHeKUA2EYABAEGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2gQtNoNqNJMAhwx1Vho42bI1rrbUtC1aZ97Rv5CqeMg0J5YTk8LKwUXi06XDe4oETMJROopIIZCHzQhQoTk8j&sig=AOD64_2QtysUky7kbkofEDQ7PpNbni67fw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwimlI3frezyAhUD_BQKHVBKCM4Q9aACegQIARBE&adurl="]https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiVkZrfrezyAhVN1O0KHeKUA2EYABAEGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2gQtNoNqNJMAhwx1Vho42bI1rrbUtC1aZ97Rv5CqeMg0J5YTk8LKwUXi06XDe4oETMJROopIIZCHzQhQoTk8j&sig=AOD64_2QtysUky7kbkofEDQ7PpNbni67fw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwimlI3frezyAhUD_BQKHVBKCM4Q9aACegQIARBE&adurl=[/url]

or a nice sized bush from a Garden Centre. Would need pruning but could be done with a bit of imagination (Instead of the resin ones from china, I would look at5 the bonsai starter tree's these will have a thick trunk already.
Regards
Sean

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: sean66 on 07 September 2021, 08:42:08 AM
Star Wars Ewok Village.

[url="https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiVkZrfrezyAhVN1O0KHeKUA2EYABAEGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2gQtNoNqNJMAhwx1Vho42bI1rrbUtC1aZ97Rv5CqeMg0J5YTk8LKwUXi06XDe4oETMJROopIIZCHzQhQoTk8j&sig=AOD64_2QtysUky7kbkofEDQ7PpNbni67fw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwimlI3frezyAhUD_BQKHVBKCM4Q9aACegQIARBE&adurl="]https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiVkZrfrezyAhVN1O0KHeKUA2EYABAEGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQeD2gQtNoNqNJMAhwx1Vho42bI1rrbUtC1aZ97Rv5CqeMg0J5YTk8LKwUXi06XDe4oETMJROopIIZCHzQhQoTk8j&sig=AOD64_2QtysUky7kbkofEDQ7PpNbni67fw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwimlI3frezyAhUD_BQKHVBKCM4Q9aACegQIARBE&adurl=[/url]

or a nice sized bush from a Garden Centre. Would need pruning but could be done with a bit of imagination (Instead of the resin ones from china, I would look at5 the bonsai starter tree's these will have a thick trunk already.
Regards
Sean

Hm. Couldnt get anywhere sensible with link, but having Googled Lego Ewok Village...NOO, thanks... PRICE !!! And for what?
Shouldn't say... but Fun thread... There Was a Lovely Lady in a Garden centre... and we seemed to be 'friends'... then, i saw a shiny new ring! D**n !!!  :(
Already have an outdoor potted 'Bush' which could do with some pruning... but no plans.
Can't say that a Living Bonsai Tree would be my thing... supposed to be tended with care... but... 'Anything' Better than EWOKS!  ;D

Raider4

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 07 September 2021, 01:45:32 PM
Already have an outdoor potted 'Bush' which could do with some pruning... but no plans.

One of the few gardening chores I enjoy is to occasionally trim my wife's bush.

toxicpixie

I've seen some excellent "vertical boards" by... Encounter Terrain? He makes them as sort of playable shelving; you could easily do that as a "forest" background...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting