Flying Model Aircraft

Started by Heedless Horseman, 23 August 2021, 04:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

If something is a 'REALLY WANT TO DO'... just do it!
Life is  too short!
My 'Lead pile' / 'Plastic pile'... must add up to several £k... I will NEVER 'Get round to it' for so many things.  :'(
So... enjoy yourself!  ;)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Raider4

R/C boats is one of the things I periodically get interested in. So far nothing has come of it, but . . . you never know.

Heedless Horseman

24 August 2021, 08:03:34 PM #17 Last Edit: 24 August 2021, 08:18:46 PM by Heedless Horseman
Quote from: Raider4 on 24 August 2021, 07:45:05 PM
R/C boats is one of the things I periodically get interested in. So far nothing has come of it, but . . . you never know.

As a Lol... was the film 'Beau Geste' where sailing Ship models fired guns? I HAVE seen vid of VERY big model Battleships ACTUALLY shooting at each other with .22 ammo! Can't think how Crazy you would have to be, to be anywhere near that!  ;D Somewhere USA, I think!  ;D

Ithoriel

As a child I had a Triang, battery operated, model of RMS Orcades

I used to take it down to the local paddling pool when it was quiet and send it back and forward across the water.

From time to time there was a bloke with a four foot long paddlesteamer, powered by a somewhat larger version of the Mamod steam engines advertised in magazines at the time .... and still available.

I was so jealous!!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

Kind of hard to see what's actually going on, but:

Our more staid, terribly English version:

And 1/16 tanks in action as well:

Heedless Horseman

25 August 2021, 04:35:43 AM #20 Last Edit: 25 August 2021, 04:37:44 AM by Heedless Horseman
Some of those boats seem to have been a little bit 'excited'! lol  ;)
Tank combat... that is one Hell of a Table!  8)

The vid that I saw was 'old'... maybe Cine film, transferred... but the ships were Huge!

Heedless Horseman

As a kids toy, there was a Sub which... when 'loaded' with a 'fizzy' tablet... would submerge and surface..

Several of MY old kits ended uo on bottom of Garden pond! But... that is tradition! I found 'bits' of wreckage in garden stream... kids will want to  sink ships!  ;D

Raider4

hammurabi70

sean66

I seem to remember as a child going to Scarborough.
they had a big park just off the sea front with a massive lake.
Sundays there used to be big model fleet actions on that pond.
Regards
Sean

Ithoriel

Quote from: sean66 on 27 August 2021, 12:26:48 PM
I seem to remember as a child going to Scarborough.
they had a big park just off the sea front with a massive lake.
Sundays there used to be big model fleet actions on that pond.
Regards
Sean

The Battle of the River Plate ... complete with jets!!

Large ships operated by a guy in the ship others by radio control.

Scarborough was the site of several tribe holidays - my grandparents, three sets of aunts/ uncles/ cousins and my own family. We basically took over a small hotel.

You could hire "Red Indian" style canoes on the lake when the battle wasn't in progress. My maternal grandfather, a keen sailor and inveterate pipe smoker became Big Chief Smoke In The Face and took us kids out in small groups.

That and the nearby pirate ship were highlights of many holidays!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

No idea if it still exists... probably not, but 70s visit to 'Science Museum', Newcastle Exhibition park was a 'hit'. Wonderful Swan Hunter's models of ships! And you could hire little 'paddle boats' to go on lake. They were very 'Wet'! lol.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 27 August 2021, 05:51:15 PM
No idea if it still exists... probably not, but 70s visit to 'Science Museum', Newcastle Exhibition park was a 'hit'. Wonderful Swan Hunter's models of ships! And you could hire little 'paddle boats' to go on lake. They were very 'Wet'! lol.

Until you mentioned that I'd forgotten the pedal paddle boats at Bridlington - a day trip excursion on our Scarborough holidays.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 27 August 2021, 05:51:15 PM

Apparently 'replaced' by Central Newcastle site. (Currently Vac Center).
https://newcastlegateshead.com/business-directory/things-to-do/life-science-centre

Don't know whether 'old' model ships there. Does not look like 'MY' kind of museum... too 'bright', 'inter active', 'LEGO'!... Pity... just might have got into a paddle boat... but it would probably have sunk! lol!