Spaceships!

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 10 August 2021, 12:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

To quote Benny from The Lego Movie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUN6KP__ozM
SPACESHIP!

On my hunt for other things, I came across these. After initially glueing them on upside down I remembered they were by Zandris IV and called Zealot Class drone fighters (hence the fact they are tinier than usual fleet scale ships).

Yes, the red end is the front!

I tried to paint them to match their mothership, a Seraph-class Superheavy Beam Destroyer

Top view

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Next up are some test pieces for my Brigade Models Yenpolo fleet.
Was looking for interesting things for A Billion Suns, these really caught my eye as something so different to the usual design of warships you see, and the rest of the fleet is on order!

For some reason, the camera just would not pick up on the colour, but they are a very well shaded and modulated light purple colour, honest!
Fighters to the fore, bombers follow.

Top view

See, they are pruple, honest! I'm sure you can imagine the rest of them this colour.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Needing something to fulfill the corette/gunboat section of the Yenpol line, I dug out these two beauties that I have been having nightmares about painting since the 00s, White Stars from Babylon 5, via Drew at Studio Bergstrom!

Top view

Again, the purple is not showing brilliantly...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Jumpgates.
Coz you need jumpgates.

And a gunstar from the 'Last Starfighter'

Ithoriel

Great looking stuff, Will.

I have jump gates, Yenpalo and Gunstars all in need of paint.

"I am not going to paint spaceships, I am concentrating on stuff for 5 Parsecs!"
"I am not going to paint spaceships, I am concentrating on stuff for 5 Parsecs!"
"I am not going to paint spaceships, I am concentrating on .....ooh! Squirrel!  :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Ithoriel on 10 August 2021, 01:42:19 AM

"I am not going to paint spaceships, I am concentrating on .....ooh! Squirrel!  :)

OHHHH hyes you are !!!!!!    Good stuff Will  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Lots of teeny tiny space ships!  8)

I've been flicking through Billion Suns this last week, and looking at Brigade Models too! With the way the game works with ships being bought turn by turn, I wasn't sure if you would want fleets (as you have done) or just a large pool of mercenary ships to buy from? BS feels very different to other wargames - has a lot more board game elements to it (at least from a read through).
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Trying it on Wednesday, I like the feel of not having two fleets line up against each other and it being scenario based.
Then I can use the fleets for other rules!!! ;)

fred.

Yes, I think it will be interesting to see how it plays, do the players focus on the victory conditions to accumulate credits. Or do they just go into debt to build a fleet to shoot everything!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

My plan is to go for victory, and if all else fails, destroy my opponent's jump gate!

toxicpixie

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 10 August 2021, 10:21:55 AM
Trying it on Wednesday, I like the feel of not having two fleets line up against each other and it being scenario based.
Then I can use the fleets for other rules!!! ;)

That was the draw for me, too! If I want a "line 'em up and laser them down" I've got Full Thrust. But a non-line of battle, scenario driven, credit based system looked well interesting :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Raider4

Those look great!

Billion Suns sounds intriguing, but not suitable for solo play?

Quote from: Raider4 on 10 August 2021, 03:47:38 PM
Those look great!

It should work for solo play, the example scenario is solo, and there are random events and Kraken may appear.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Quote from: Raider4 on 10 August 2021, 03:47:38 PM

There are some solo play rules on the BS website - http://abillionsuns.space/downloads/

I've not even read these, let alone tried them!

Ithoriel

When I first got the rules I ran a solo campaign playing both Wayland-Yutani and Umbrella Corp.

Wayland-Yutani did better in the early games at the expense of rapidly going broke!

I had a lot of fun (though not enough to paint any of the ships!) but deffo better with several players.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data