You can lead a horse to water

Started by Westmarcher, 07 August 2021, 08:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

With all of the new (and old) 'sports' they're introducing these days, it could still happen!  ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Raider4

Quote from: Westmarcher on 08 August 2021, 01:29:15 PM
That was the point - you're NOT allowed to wallop the poor animal.

Aye, well, I didn't see anyone rushing to stop her, or admonish her. Yes, I know the coach was thrown out well after the event.

Westmarcher

08 August 2021, 02:05:23 PM #17 Last Edit: 08 August 2021, 02:07:57 PM by Westmarcher
Well, Martyn, watch this and see what you think. There's no chance for anyone to rush to stop her - so quick and no-one near her.
As for the "punch," if this is it ....  ???   We've all probably knocked harder on a door.   :o

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

clibinarium

That's it? You might punch a friend in the shoulder that hard as a joking response to an insult. All the media reports I saw of this did not make this clear, and did not show the footage.
There may be a case to say that's its a sort of attempt to influence the behaviour of the horse by the coach, and therefore not permissible, but in animal welfare terms this should hardly be a concern surely?

sunjester

Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 August 2021, 01:32:02 PM
I don't know why they don't just combine everything and have competitors on swimming horses trying to "eliminate" each other with fencing foils and laser tag guns. :D
You know, that MIGHT be a sport I'm bother watching!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

08 August 2021, 05:19:38 PM #21 Last Edit: 08 August 2021, 05:33:27 PM by Heedless Horseman
Incidentally, it was very rare that a stick NEEDED to be used at all. Sometimes if a beast was 'acting up' on a road... or kicking /biting, etc. ... or as a 'spark' when 'not keen' to jump... but YOU have other things to do when attempting a jump... 'stick' is an unwanted, additional complication. As 'encouragement' when being 'lazy', drawing a stick from boot and letting horse 'see' it , would be enough to make it think...'Right, better get a move on, then!'
Better to have an unused 'stick' than not... have seen Girls who 'Would Never Use'... getting into difficulties on 'fractious' horses... when 'sight' might have done the trick to 'settle'.
Rather annoys to see professional Race Jockeys 'lashing about'... probably trying to show 'keen'... but NOT going to do much good... to MY mind, maybe the opposite. If a horse is 'willing'...then, it will. 'Flogging a Dead Horse' has always been pointless.
'Battle'... and the terror that goes with it... is another matter. Hence, the horrific spurs and roundels. But, if a bit of 'gouging' was all that was suffered... 'lucky' horse.  :(

As for 'the punch'... 'media c******s'! Thanks for posting Westmarcher. That was just a 'Hey, You, Pack It In!'
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)