10mm samurai using fantastic battles rules

Started by Rubbsalot, 03 August 2021, 03:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

04 August 2021, 11:20:36 AM #15 Last Edit: 04 August 2021, 11:30:09 AM by FierceKitty
Quote from: fred. on 04 August 2021, 11:15:33 AM
Great looking armies, and a great game.

I've only gone with a couple of banners per unit, but am starting to feel that I need to increase the numbers a bit.

How did you create the commanders' camps? I've been thinking about doing something similair, but I'm not quite sure about the best way to proceed?

They're just curtains on frames; you don't have to be a Michelangelo, Bernini, Donatello, Praxiteles, Techno, or anyone of that kind.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

They're cracking, and then some.

Like others, I too must not start a new period. Really.

Interested in some pics of your banner method though!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Rubbsalot

I thought a lot about how to make the maku camps but felt the easy route was the best by which i mean using bits n bobs i had to hand.

I made the base by glueing together some smaller mdf stands that i use for the units. i then used more smaller pieces of mdf to build the curtain wall. After that i painted it and added transfers before tackling the huge flags. For these, I used some steel spearshafts i had as cut offs from a previous project. i bent a curve onto the end and cut down some paper labels to make the flag. then they were painted and decals added. they were then glued to the curtain wall. I experimented with pva and tissue paper to make thjem look more fabric but it results were poor.
I wont lie it took ages- plus a lot of time being researching the wretched things.

bases glued together -minibits from pendraken

intermediate - see top right

Finito

hopefully i got the images to work there.

DHautpol

Well done, those are really, really good.

As you say, the flags and banners really make the difference.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Big Insect

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 August 2021, 11:20:36 AM
They're just curtains on frames; you don't have to be a Michelangelo, Bernini, Donatello, Praxiteles, Techno, or anyone of that kind.

Irregular Miniatures make very good 15mm versions of the command camp screens: code FSA20 (I used these in my 10mm painting competition Pendraken Samurai Apes army command base)

They fit 10mm really well IMHO - as they need to be tall enough to stop a mounted individual looking over the top of them (or firing a musket or shooting a bow at the Commander!).
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

fred.

Thanks Rubbsalot - very useful build instructions

Quote from: Big Insect on 04 August 2021, 01:56:56 PM
Irregular Miniatures make very good 15mm versions of the command camp screens: code FSA20 (I used these in my 10mm painting competition Pendraken Samurai Apes army command base)

That is a very handy tip - I'll have a look - wouldn't have thought to look in the 15mm ranges
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Rubbsalot

Quote from: DHautpol on 04 August 2021, 01:56:18 PM
Well done, those are really, really good.

As you say, the flags and banners really make the difference.

thanks very much!

They fit 10mm really well IMHO - as they need to be tall enough to stop a mounted individual looking over the top of them (or firing a musket or shooting a bow at the Commander!).

i did see those at some point just assumed they were too big - doh!

fred.

Approximately how big is one of these (length) and I assume they are 1 to a pack?

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Big Insect

Need to check fred - I'll dig out the army and do a bit of measuring (& I'll get back to you)

I'm not sure how many in the pack (it was a while ago I bought them), but if you email Ian @ Irregular he's a nice chap and will tell you how many etc.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

You can see what they look like if you go to the 2021 Painting Competition thread and search down the Individual Base category [ http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20651.0.html ] and look for the Big Insect Samurai Apes Command base entry.

fred.

Quote from: Big Insect on 04 August 2021, 06:37:27 PM
You can see what they look like if you go to the 2021 Painting Competition thread and search down the Individual Base category [ http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20651.0.html ] and look for the Big Insect Samurai Apes Command base entry.

Thanks - those aren't the ones I was remembering - but they look good. There are also some ones built using the Pendraken bamboo fences on another entry, which may be another option

marie

Great figures, love the Maku Camps....Now there's an idea ....I feel an email coming on...